DEXCOM G4 - CGM

7 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

I'm interested to know how much the Dexcom G4 system costs - does anyone know?

I've had one on loan for the last 6 weeks, and it's been a godsend. I'm virtually totally unaware of hypos unless my BG falls to 2.5 or below. Not good - particularly as my job entails a lot of driving to meet clients! Having the CGM has been great - a complete new tool for helping me to manage my diabetes, together with finger pricking and DAFNE. 48 hours now without it, and I'm back to square one Evil or Very Mad

Obviously there is the sensor, plus the reader, and the needles which need changing weekly.
Love to hear from anyone self-funding a Dexcom meter.

Cheers,

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

unsure but I would guess a couple of hundred quid for the CGM and another hundred or so for the sensors, which will last a week or two.....although some have reported getting longer on them...

what sticks out for me on your post though is you have admitted reduced hypo awareness and you are still driving.....are you over exaggerating your awareness to justify the CGM or is it really that bad and the DVLA don't know...

meltow DAFNE Graduate
78 posts

I know the trends of my BG counts - and as all drivers must do, I am checking, rechecking and checking again my BG levels prior to and during my driving. Thank you for your concern.....

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I didn't mean to upset you or anything but if you can't recognise hypos...Just generally then that's a big deal in terms of driving....Whether you check before or not...But you know your own body best...

meltow DAFNE Graduate
78 posts

Well, I'm actually looking for a more definitive answer to my actual question - the cost of DEXCOM.
No doubt you will appreciate with my predicament how useful it would be - no, I'm not over exaggerating.
Please don't respond - I don't need any help with my driving capabilities/BG testing, thank you............ Evil or Very Mad

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

The price breakdown for Dexcom is available here

I believe you can do without the receiver and use your phone instead.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

It's pretty expensive here in Australia. Like you though, I have found it to be great at telling me when I am trending low and have found that I wasn't as hypo-aware as I believed.

The G5 is also available. It is useful if you want to be monitored remotely or use a phone (good for concerned parents of type 1 kids) but the transmitter on the G5 is hard-coded to only last 3 months as opposed to the G4 transmitter which I can get about a year out of so the G5 works out to be quite a bit pricier for no apparent benefit to me.

Although the G4 sensors are advertised to last 1 week, I usually get 4-6 weeks out of each one with pretty good accuracy. I know others though that struggle to get 1 week out of a sensor though, so it's a case of see what works for you.

All the best with it. If it turns out to be too pricey, then also consider the Freestyle Libre. The main benefits of the Dexcom over the Libre are that it will alert you either audibly or via vibration when you go outside of the target ranges that you program for it, the sensors can last longer than the two weeks of the Libre, and you can see a full 24 hours of readings as opposed to only 8 for the Libre. I did the sums, and found that for me, the Dexcom costs less annually than a Libre would, but in terms of initial outlay, the Libre would likely be quite a bit cheaper unless you have a compatible pump that can display the Dexcom sensor readings.