Low Carb

16 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I've been low carb for 3 weeks now, but like I said to Warwick I seem to be increasing my insulin not lowering it, is this normal?

Phil

Nidge DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
4 posts

I don't think there is a 'normal', Phil. We each react in different ways. Now, thanks to LCHF and DAFNE, I rarely need insulin at all, but have the knowledge and pens to hand in case I have a meal in excess of 3 CPs, then can calculate what 'my' body requires by way of additional insulin.

When I think of how ill I was 10 months ago, I count myself very lucky to still be typing this.

194 posts

Hi all,

I think I am finally about there, 100+ miles on the bike yesterday, scrambled eggs in butter before hand, pub lunch, Sausage in onion gravy, with chips (I had about 5 or 6 to mop up gravy). Pockets full of gels, but didn't need one. HbA1c down from 12 (old skool) 2 years ago to 6.8 Very Happy

Still too nervous to go out for any distance without a pocket full of gels though, what do other low carbers have if they do go hypo? Are there any other low carbers that are exercise nuts like me?

Phil

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Congratulations Phil. That is excellent. And well done on the HbA1c. Awesome number. There is nothing wrong with a safety net of gels. Whatever works best for you. I carry jelly beans with me. I'd use gels but I find them too sticky and sweet and inconvenient with the packaging to deal with afterwards. They do work fast though :-) Keep it up. Sounds like you are doing great.

194 posts

Yet another low carb question, I haven't lost my hypo signals (yet), I know when I'm running low, don't get them until about 3.5 now, if I'm exercising I need to eat, nothing I can about it (just can't keep going), but often since low carbing if I give it a bit of time before eating my body kicks in and I go up or I will have some nuts or cheese rather than sugar.

Is it wise to leave it like this (I eat if I'm driving or something, but at my desk I'll have a few nuts)? If I do have sugar I'm on an up / down rollercoaster for most of the day then!

I feel so much better running lower like this, but now I have the concern of loosing my hypo signals, they are already not happening til I'm lower!

Is there an easy answer? Can't win, its a battle everyday!

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I've recently lost my hypo awareness. I only found this out after wearing a CGM and sleeping through multiple hypos that my CGM picked up. It is probably safer to take a small amount of carbs, and then look at reducing your basal to avoid the situation happening too often. Obviously you don't want to add a lot of carbs back in if you can help it, but losing hypo awareness is a major pain right now.