Trying to lose weight?

7 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

PeterThompson DAFNE Graduate
Bromley Healthcare CIC
2 posts

I am a fresh graddy from DAFNE and found the course far better than expected but I am still struggling a little with some of the program. I have been a type 1 for 23 years so am well versed in many aspects of control however since attending DAFNE and trying to lose some weight some aspects don't seem to add up. I am trying not to have any carbs at lunch time, in an effort to lose a little weight, other than perhaps an apple and instead am having pure protein usually in the form of a plain, skinless chicken breast. I therefore don't take on any QA at lunch time or, if I have an apple in addition to the chicken, I will take the suggested level of QA to CP being around the 3/4 mark for my desired ratio however when I do subject myself to this boring lunch routine I find my BG mid-afternopon to be very high. I know all about when you are ill you must still take QA and BI in accordance with the calculation but I am not ill so have been left confused on occasions?

Apologies, I didn't mean to ramble on for so long but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pete

dunkers7 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
24 posts

Two possibilities.

1) You aren't taking enough BI
2) The protein is raising your BG

Have a read of this thread and you'll find a question has been asked about 2: http://dafneonline.co.uk/forums/1/topics/2650

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

I'd also recommend reading a book called Your Diabetes Science Experiment by Ginger Viera. I'm in the same boat, trying to lose weight and it gives a great overview of how carbs, protein and fat affect your BG, as well as detailed guidelines for exercise too.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I would also try 1) in the post above i.e trying to skip lunch if you can and then testing your BG. I think you also need to be a bit more precise. By this I mean what time do you
eat and what time do you check 'mid-afternoon' ? The reason for saying this is it may give more of a clue as to what is going on. While Protein can be converted to sugar it is not the
bodies first option because it is more complex and takes time. You can't consider protein as the same as carbs when assessing its impact on BG. If you can say when you eat,
how much and when you test that will give us more details to try to advise.
The amount is also relevant, I remember well my DAFNE Course when I showed my results and said I may have been a bit higher due to eating Monkey Nuts the evening before, the
dietician said, ooh a handful won't make a difference. I said no the whole bag, to which she seemed shocked but the other guys on the course all said, yes of course the whole bag why
would you eat just a handful. One persons normal is another's excessive ;-)

PeterThompson DAFNE Graduate
Bromley Healthcare CIC
2 posts

Thanks marke. Going off at a slight tangent but on the DAFNE course I was told that peanuts didn't contain and carbs yet in my experience they do have an effect on BG - a slower release but still requires some QA to treat. Anyway, not sure I could eat a whole bag of monket nuts. Respect!!

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Its the same effect, peanuts don't contain carbs just protein. In theory that gets converted to BG so slowly that your BI will cover it, but Diabetes is full of theories that don't necessarily translate to reality. We are ALL different and react slightly different to different things like Insulin, food, illness etc etc

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

I'm like you Marke with a bag of peanuts...can't resist emptying the bag once started. They always have a drastic effect upon my BGs and I have seen BGs of 13+ after over-indulging. As a consequence, I try to avoid buying them.....Get thee behind me temptation Embarassed
Regards
Garry