Driving and blood glucose testing

15 posts, 10 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

The new text in DIAB1 April 2013 revised version is:

I have insulin treated diabetes and I understand the need to test my blood glucose/sugar at times relevant to driving (not more than 2 hours before the start of the 1st journey and every 2 hours while driving. The object of this is to ensure the blood glucose is always above 5mmol/l per litre while driving).

I do about 20,000 miles a year and most of this is linked to my job. Having just sent the paperwork back to DVLA to renew my licence, I was made very aware of the changes for testing your sugars whilst driving. Up until last week, I had never carried my monitoring kit with me - it lived on one of the kitchen work surfaces. However, I am now the proud owner of 2 monitoring kits, and one is now permanently in my car. All I need to remember now is to actually use it!
Any tips from anyone - how do you remember to check your sugars before setting off on a car journey?

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I'm surprised you're not already doing these tests. Perhaps you should think of it as possibly losing your licence and your job if you don't do these tests.

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

That part of the text is same as before revised version, I was diagnosed in 2012 and the information I was given then stated the same. I plan long journeys in advance and look at where service stations are and which I can get to in my 2hour slots. Always prefer to use a service station rather than layby so have somewhere nice to sit if need to raise sugar levels!

Like Alan said surprised you're not already doing these tests!!

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

Yes, thanks, I don't need any lectures from all you perfect people Rolling Eyes

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

In current conditions watch out for low temperatures in the car. You may be inconvenienced by the fact that your meter has gone on strike as the battery is too cold.
If possible, keep it on you...in a nice warm pocket.
Regards
Garry

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Sorry meltow...didn't answer your question.
Her who must be obeyed reminds me!
Regards
Garry

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

I've tried a variety of solutions including keeping one in the car on the passenger seat but nothing beats the carrying one with you wherever you go method. I test whenever I get into the car (on the meter I carry with me). It really does become a habit with enough practice.

Surprises me that you can test up to two hours before and expect a valid "over 5 to drive result".

We have a similar law here which says that if you have a medical incident you lose your licence for 6 months! One GP suggested I could lose my licence as a "hypo" is an incident...define hypo! When I told him I have 3-4 most weeks I clarified what "hypo" meant but he was unable to categorically define it. The law called "Jett's law" was campaigned for by a police officer mother whose toddler son was run down and killed by a driver having a seizure. The terminology was broadened and made generic to include fainting spells, heart incidents etc but could also include a "hypo". Belief is that it would have to go to court to test the parameters of the law. Helen

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Truth be told I don't usually test that often but I do manage some times.............

but for the majority of the time I don't............ Sad

This is because I have very good hypo warning symptoms, usually have someone in the vehicle with me and I am on short journeys............

Most people have hypo symptoms but some do not, those people who don't I believe are not allowed to drive and so the rule to test is one that is there to reduce risk, which is a good thing I agree, but I believe its more important to have hypo treatment in the car with you........

snow123 DAFNE Graduate
13 posts

My diabetic team also said toake aire the meters time/date is correct as this is a record and could be used in evidence should something happen. I know its a bit of a pain at first but it becomes routine and l need my job to pay for the nice things I do.its just annoying that there are others on meds that affect driving but don't have to do anything.

snow123 DAFNE Graduate
13 posts

My diabetic team also said check the meters time/date is correct as this is a record and could be used in evidence should something happen. I know its a bit of a pain at first but it becomes routine and l need my job to pay for the nice things I do.its just annoying that there are others on meds that affect driving but don't have to do anything.