Pizza, chinese, indian....

19 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

Hi Gareth,

Fair play well done. Out of interest what way did you split the dose please and what times etc did you take the insulin please?

Gareth H DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
12 posts

I split the dose nearly in half. i calculated it as 8 (1.4 per slice * 5 slices and i added 1 for the nachos as i didn't know what they were!), so i did 5 with the food at 6pm, and then 2 hours later i did 3 more. I went low at about 8.30 (4.1) but just had some cornflakes just in case and it was 9 when i went to bed at 10:45 so it was as close to target as i was going to worry about!

Not perfect or anything but it worked a bit, i think the 3 units later on should have been 2 units, i must get on to dominos now and ask about the nachos.

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Gareth H said:
I split the dose nearly in half. i calculated it as 8 (1.4 per slice * 5 slices and i added 1 for the nachos as i didn't know what they were!), so i did 5 with the food at 6pm, and then 2 hours later i did 3 more. I went low at about 8.30 (4.1) but just had some cornflakes just in case and it was 9 when i went to bed at 10:45 so it was as close to target as i was going to worry about!

Not perfect or anything but it worked a bit, i think the 3 units later on should have been 2 units, i must get on to dominos now and ask about the nachos.

Great thanks.

Ryder DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
6 posts

Tried pizza last night. Took half the calculated QA insulin for the CPs I calculated and went low nearly 2 hours later so had to take 2 raid CPs and then went to bed on target and then woke up at 10.3 this morning- better than previous attempts where I've taken all insulin at once and needed my jag to revive me from being down in the danger zone!

Think pizza is not my friend- did Chinese a week ago and QA and CPs worked out perfect Very Happy

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Ryder said:
Tried pizza last night. Took half the calculated QA insulin for the CPs I calculated and went low nearly 2 hours later so had to take 2 raid CPs and then went to bed on target and then woke up at 10.3 this morning- better than previous attempts where I've taken all insulin at once and needed my jag to revive me from being down in the danger zone!

Think pizza is not my friend- did Chinese a week ago and QA and CPs worked out perfect Very Happy

Yes as i mentioned i am bang on with pizza but Chinese is a totally different story. As they say we are all different.

Ryder DAFNE Graduate
6 posts

Rafa said:

Ryder said:

Yes as i mentioned i am bang on with pizza but Chinese is a totally different story. As they say we are all different.

Definitely x

Amanda Lawes DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
2 posts

I usually give my second injection about 2 hours after the first on a split dose.

BeccyB DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
50 posts

I don't remember this bit from my course?! Perhaps I nodded off for a bit Shocked Laughing

Is it just recommended for take-away type foods or are there others I should be watching out for?

Ryder DAFNE Graduate
6 posts

BeccyB said:
I don't remember this bit from my course?! Perhaps I nodded off for a bit Shocked Laughing

Is it just recommended for take-away type foods or are there others I should be watching out for?

It can be different for all diabetics but a lot of diabetics struggle to get pizza in particular right- I seem to have all other take away foods ok but pizza is my nemesis. I'd just say if u hit a particular high or low when eating certain foods when u eat them next time just check for a pattern so u know what works for you. Dafne really did change my whole outlook on being diabetic and I'm now 5 months pregnant with a hba1c that is spot on & for the first time,I feel in control.

Hope that helps x