Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
34 posts

Strong message Laughing

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I was diagnosed at the age of 24 - a year after I got married (51 years ago). I found out a few years later, that my parents thought my diabetes was the result of my wife's cooking!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

HelenP said:
Hi, also a secondary teacher. After a particularly stressful morning and an extra playground duty I realised I was going low and sent my nerdiest kid to the canteen to get an ANZAC biscuit (very sweet...great for hypos) only to have her come back with an admonition from the canteen convener saying I was not allowed to have one as I was a diabetic. Second message to the office..."get me an ANZAC biscuit or an ambulance". Problem solved.

Helen

Does everyone know your diabetic? Its normal for most colleagues to have an idea, but the dinner lady?...seems strange....

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

HelenP said:
Hi, also a secondary teacher. After a particularly stressful morning and an extra playground duty I realised I was going low and sent my nerdiest kid to the canteen to get an ANZAC biscuit (very sweet...great for hypos) only to have her come back with an admonition from the canteen convener saying I was not allowed to have one as I was a diabetic. Second message to the office..."get me an ANZAC biscuit or an ambulance". Problem solved.

Helen

Does everyone know your diabetic? Its normal for most colleagues to have an idea, but the dinner lady?...seems strange.... Very Happy

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

HI Alan,

I don't think the food causes type one diabetic, I think it is more effecting type two.

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

Hi Helen,

Yes all my colleagues know that I am diabetic and they know that when I am low I need to go and treat my low, but for most of them I still need to explain the best treatments for hypos.