Endurance Exercise and BG

18 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

Phil Maskell said:
Rafa,

I find if I am high (cos I've overdone the gels or not enough QA on board) when I get back before dinner I will not correct, if it was a long/strenuous ride rather than a relaxed social thing I will lower my QA for the next meal regardless of BG and then check again at bed.

For 20-25 mins of running this might not be the case, at 12.8 not correcting does it drop anyway?

Phil

Hi Phil, i actually corrected and was 9.6 going to bed three hours later. I was 12.0 the next morning at 6am.

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Update,

Went out on a 100+ miler (6+ hours) on my own so I could test.

Fasting BG was 12
Breakfast: 4CP - Had normal 1:1 4 QA and BI of 6, normally 13 and have had 8 before when cycling.
1.5 hours into ride BG15.5 (already had 1 gel at this point, guessed as too cold to take gloves off, Garmin said -3c when I set off!)
2.5 hours into ride BG 22.8 (had 4 QA)
Lunch BG 6.8 no QA (had bacon sandwhich, 3-4CP)
6 hours into ride BG 5.3
7 hours into ride BG 8.3
Home after ride before dinner BG 5.3 (14CP, noraml 1.5:1 would be 21QA, had 10QA as risk of hypo)
1 hour after dinner check BG 8.9
2 hour after dinner check BG 6.8
Before bed BG 6 (BI normally 15, lowered this to 7)

Throughout the day I had energy bars, gels and sports drinks totalling 26CP.

Morning BG 11.2 - bit high, but after yesterday happy with this.

All in all I am more happy with this, not sure why I had the 15.5 and 22.8, but after QA this all fell into place. Next time I will probably have a bit more BI in the evening after.

Hope this report helps others judge the best way to try and deal with this rubbish, only downside to this approach is it costs a fortune in gels/drinks! Very Happy

Phil

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

That certainly looks like a successful ride to me. Perhaps a bit more QA at breakfast, or no gel in the first couple of hours and you wouldn't have had the highs in the early part of the ride, but overall, it looks like you managed it really well, and the latter part of the ride and absence of hypos is a huge tick mark.

Well done. All the best with further refinement.

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

I was 6.1 an hour and a half before a run last night so had one choclate rice cake (1cp) and i was 11.1 going out. Ran for 25 minutes and was 10.8 afterwards. Had a shower and then before dinner roughly 40-50 minutes after the run i was 12.7. Had five cps and corrected +2. I was then 4.6 going to bed so was a little bit corncerned so had a small drop of orange juice. Woke up at 6am for work and i was 8.7. I know it was out of range but i was happy with that. Last week i went out for the same run and i was 7.7 and took no cp and dropped to 4.9 after it. Maybe when i am between 6-8 before a run i don't need to take a cp??

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Getting to grips with it more i think touch wood! 30 minutes before a run last night i was 6.8 so took 1.5 cp then i was 11.8 heading out. Ran for 35 minutes and was 6.1 afterwards. Had 6 cps and took 4 qa. Two hours later i was 9.3 and was hungry. I had 6 cps and took 6qa which was a mistake because i was 3.4 an hour and half later. I had 3 cp's and then i was 4.6 going to bed 45 minutes later. Woke up at 6am and was 6.0 and went for a 25 minute run and was 6.8 afterwards. I had 6 cps and took qa of 6 as opposed to 1.5/1. Just checked now and i am 4.9 so had one cp with no qa.

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Was 12.8 waking up this morning so went out for a 45 minute run. Just back in and 16.8. Should i correct with my food would anyone think?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

If I am over 13 at the end of exercise, then I'll definitely correct. Perhaps with a correction factor of half of what I would inject if I hadn't exercised.

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Warwick said:
If I am over 13 at the end of exercise, then I'll definitely correct. Perhaps with a correction factor of half of what I would inject if I hadn't exercised.

Hi Warwick,

Yes that's what i decided to do. Had 6 cps and took qa of 6 + correction of 2 instead of 4. Three hours later i was 7.9 so was happy enough with that. Thanks for the reply.