Bayer Contour USB Meter

21 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello,

Just to let everyone know a new meter has been released by Bayer.

It's very small, has colour screen and recharges via USB. It also has all the software stored on the USB drive part (plus 500mb for your own files) and works on both PC and MAC.

http://www.bayercontourusb.co.uk

NiVZ

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

thanks for pointing this out, but I would NEVER pay for a meter. The meter companies make a lot of money from test strips and its in their interest to get you using their meters so you use their test strips. If they are giving them away it might be attractive, but if they want me to pay and then make a profit from me on the test strips then its not so attractive.

I don't know for sure the 'list' price for contour strips but the retail price for 50 is around the same price as a meter. Yes, I know we don't
pay for them but the NHS does.

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello,

Yeah sorry I should have said to ask your clinic about these as thats how most people get their meters.

It does look a good meter, and as a bloke it would be great to have a meter that fits in your pocket.

NiVZ

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Wow, I'm impressed! Makes a lot of sense to make it a USB thing considering diabetics are interested in putting their blood results online. I might ask about it next time I see my DAFNE nurse. Smile

Bit puzzled about NiVZ thinking along the lines that it's just blokes that'll want a machine that fits in your pocket.... bit of a strange way to put it considering females would be interested too. :/

Anyway, I look forward to using this machine if I can get it! Would be great to get rid of all the manual input! Very Happy

Edit: Do we have any idea what the raw data's format will be before it's converted into PDF for viewing?

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hi JWo,

Sorry wasn't meaning to be sexist - just that the majority of girls have a handbag they can put their meter in. Us blokes need jeans or jackets with considerably large pockets to fit in even the smallest meter, however I have no problem carrying my USB data sticks in my pocket so something this small would mean I'd be more likely to take the meter out and about with me.

I'm already 90% of the way there on an automatic uploader for the OneTouch UltraEASY and UltraSMART, had a quick look at the Xceed as well but it's proving harder. If I get my hands on a ContourUSB I'll give it a try as well ;o)

NiVZ

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
587 posts

No worries NiVZ. I'm a female for the record, heh. ;P

Speaking of this USB machine - I did send an email to my diabetes nurse requesting if they could issue one to me, and they said that because they've had problems with Contour machines, they've pulled out of using them.

However, in response to this, the nurse was kind enough to let me know about other machines that could do the same job for me. I did also ask about compatibility with the operating system Linux (that I use).

These are the machines with their compatitibility that was listed in response:

~Lifescan (One touch ultra easy and Vita) state not compatible with Windows 7.
~Abbot (Optimun xceed) state only tested with Windows XP.
~Menari who supply the Glucomen LX stated that their software was compatible with all systems (The site about it says it's compatible with windows XP or higher though which I'm puzzled about).

Most of the machines they get do provide USB data link cables free of charge except for Roche who manufacture the Accu-chek machines, they provide a data link box called smart pix which uploads the data from the blood glucose machine via infra red, this box costs £19.99 (inc vat)."

I do recall using a Otimum Xceed before my current machine though... sods law though, I cannot find it now. >_<
I am going to have a good think about what one to pick but I'm tempted to go with Ultra Easy considering your efforts for members on the DAFNE Online forums! Whatever happens, I hope it's not too much hassle to get the USB wire at the same time as getting the new machine.

If you do pick up on this Contour USB for the project, good luck with it. You're good to do what you're doing NiVZ, thank you. Smile

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, you should have no trouble getting the software or cable for the lifescan ultra easy the URL is http://www.lifescan.co.uk/OurProducts/Accessories/InterfaceCable.aspx and they will send it to you for free. I have to say it is a million times better than Roches bizarre insistance on sticking with Infra-red. I used to use their meters and software but after a PC upgrade the infra red would never work again and roche were far from helpful. I have tried to get a smart-pix device to test for DAFNEOnline but Roche are not interested and their customer support is not fit of that name.
I would be interested to hear if anyone does get a contour USB meter and if its any good, as I said previously I don't intend to pay for one when they will get all the money from the NHS for my test strips if I use one.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
587 posts

Thanks for the recommendation marke. I am getting very tempted by the Ultra Easy machine. Smile

How disappointing to hear that Roches are unprofessional like that. Might be worth not bothering with their machine anyway if they're not prepared to update to using a USB standard.

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Thanks JWo. I'm trying hard to get something finished thats fit for release.

I've not tried my program with Windows 7 yet, but we do have it at work so I will. My program only needs the usb cable driver installed (and not the actual software) so fingers crossed it should be ok with Windows 7. I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance

I've currently use the OneTouch UltraEASY as my main meter, but have been using my UltraSMART again to do the testing for the uploads. My DSN was kind enough to give me an Optium Xceed to test the uploading with but they've not gotten any Contour USB's yet. As Marke has said you can get the cable for the OneTouch meters by filling out the online form, and Abbott do the same for the Optium Xceed - you just need to enter your meter's serial number on their online form.

I did contact Bayer direct to see if they'd be agreeable to giving me one to help with the project but as of yet I've not heard back from them. Don't think we'll be able to do the Roche Accu-Chek meters because as Marke says they're not keen to give away they're infra-red cable, and I'm definitely not handing over £20 for old, slow infra-red technology ;)

NiVZ

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
587 posts

Just out of interest, does your program work with Linux and/or Vista?
Considering Linux is about being open source, I am very curious if it does or not.
If not, the boyfriend has Vista on his computer so all is not lost for my situation. Smile