Ratios tryed them all

15 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Tanglyjan 3 posts

Hi marke. i was merely offering an opinion when i replied to the thread about ratios. Just for the record, I am a HCP with a qualification in Diabetes although my response was MERELY as a fellow diabetic of 30 years. i am NOT someone who believes they know everything : far from it in fact. The poster himself had already mentioned insulin resistance so I did not feel I was coming accross with a totally new theory? I did note you saying this was NOT a criticism of me personally however I noted you had not replied to any of the previous posts where others had offered suggestions so it was hard not to see it in that light. No offence meant but felt I wanted to clear this up.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

oops, sorry, sounds like I have upset you, poor timing on my part. I just happened upon this thread and wanted to respond thats why I handn't replied before. I apologise if it did seem as I was picking you for criticism, that wasn't the intention. What I wanted to point out was that people should contact their Diabetes team if they are having issues rather than relying on the advice of others. The advice of fellow diabetics IS good and benefical but so is medical advice that mostly we are not qualified to give.

Tanglyjan 3 posts

Thanks Marke for your sensitive reply. Your point about people contacting their Health care teams is a very valid one. With hindsight (aint that a wonderful thing!!!) I should have mentioned that too. Best wishes, jan.

wombat75 DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
1 post

If you are insulin resistant, you might want to talk to your diabeties educator to see if your ratio for adjustment is enough. Normally one unit should drop your blood glucose 2-3 mmols, however it may be that one unit of insulin only lowers your blood glucose by 1.5 or even one mmol. Also give it a few days for your body to adjust berfore you increase your carb ratio. It is hard to find a pattern in one day. Remember ratios may differ during the day you may have a higher ratio in the morining, a different one at lunch and different again at dinner. The stress of feeling you are unable to get this right may also be affecting your BGL.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

wise words wombat75, pretty much what I was trying to say ( but badly in my case).