Lantus Lasting 24 hours?

11 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

qprfcmark DAFNE Graduate 3 posts

Hi, just started on DAFNE after being type 1 for 30 years. Has anyone else found that their BG is going above target at around 18:00 & 22:00? I had a zero CP meal at 18:00 and my BG went from 6.9 to 9.8 at 22:00. This to me indicates the BI Lantus is running out by 15:00 and I'm relying purely on QA Novorapid. My ratio for Novorapid is already 2.5:1 at 12:00 & 18:00. Anyone else experienced this and what is the solution? Regards Mark

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Hi Mark

I had similar experiences and I changed to Levemir which is split between morning and dinner, maybe consider speaking to your diabetic team. I'm now on Humulin I split at 12 midnight and morning I was climbing BGs before bed and through the night, so far so good though. It's good your noticing a pattern.

Sam

Karen Westwood DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
38 posts

Hi Mark,

Pre DAFNE I was taking one injection of lantus in the evening and due to similar problems that you are having I decided to split my lantus to morning and evening and this seems to have done the trick.

Good luck in getting yourself sorted out.

Karen
x

Thanks Sam & Karen for your experiences/advice. I'm talking to the Diabetic Nurse who ran DAFNE in Bedford so will keep you informed of outcome. Anyone with any other experiences regarding this please leave a message. Regards Mark.

Diabetic nurse advised me to split the 22 units of Lantus at 22:00 into 2 separate doses of 12 units at 22:00 and 10 units at 08:00. The results were instant and the BG levels at 18:00 & 22:00 are now on target, so Lantus is now lasting the 24 hour cycle! Regards Mark.

Anthony Holmes DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts

I also need to split my Lantus: 11UBI at 8:00 and 10UBI at 20:00. If I'm late by even as little as 45 minutes in giving my Lantus dose I see my blood glucose rising (in the absence of anything else to affect my level). My gut feeling is that for doses of around 20ish Units per day, there are a fairly large number of people who find it doesn't last 24 hours. This was a discovery that most of the people doing my DAFNE course made: a significant majority of them ended up splitting their Lantus (but not everybody).

(Before I did DAFNE I was taking 50 Units of BI per day. Admittedly I also ate a lot more then,... but I have little doubt that the 50 units was lasting 24 hours or more.)

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I'm someone who used to take ... golly, it's been a while but I think I was on 18 units when I was on one BI injection a day... and I found everyday I was around 15 BG in the afternoon after starting DAFNE. It took DAFNE to pick up this and now after splitting my Lantus dose to 6 BI at 10pm and 9 BI at around 7am-7.30am... my control has stablised quite nicely.

It frightens me to think I've been taking the wrong amount with out splitting it for years. Sad

As a result - Lantus so does not work for 24 hours for all... and for me, it works 16 hours which last I heard was about an hour under the estimated minimum working time. I happy to hear that the split dose change is also working well for you too.

Took me a while to work out my dose amounts on that note - I was hypoing in the night for a while because a half split was too much for my over night amount.... I need the over lap in the morning I find, but working out the doses was annoying with the continuous 3am checking! >_<

andyt DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
1 post

Hi Mark

After DAFNE I struggled to get my Lantus dose right for me, I seemed to try everything - the time, spiliting it, the dose (2years!) I changed to Levmir a spilt am/pm last September and so far its seems to be a lot betters. Im counting down to my next appointment at the clinic to see if my Hba1c has come down!

Thanks

Andrea

MARIER DAFNE Graduate
NHS Dumfries and Galloway
42 posts

Hi Mark Im the same as Andyt changed to Levimir and split the dose imto 2 10.30 am + 10.30 pm and works far better for me and last 24 hrs
marie

Kentbabe DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
10 posts

Hiya Mark, I am on levmir and have been splitting this in to 2 doses at 10pm and 7am. I am strugling with my morning readings being either in the teans or higher. i have tried 3am blood reading and ive either been low or stuipedly high. Im thinking of asking about being put on lantus to see if this would help my readings. I hope you have sucess with you readings karen