Need a kick up the backside! :(

15 posts, 11 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

RachelA DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
10 posts

Derek, those are great levels - well done.

Graeme DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
2 posts

Derek,

I am currently doing DAFNE at Southern General. It has been a great boost meeting others with similar problems and discussing potential improvements. I would urge you to work at your control and keep striving for the best you can get. My best friend died about 10 years ago after a long and painful fight against complications brought on by poor control.

Best wishes and keep striving for the best you can

Graeme

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

We are all here to help in anyway we can..........

I think the key to my success is routine which is helped by a fairly settled lifestyle but routine can come in many forms...

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

Derek,

Have just started looking at this DAFNE website again, after a while. I done the DAFNE course last year (April '09), and thought it was going to be really difficult to maintain.
Just prior to the DAFNE course my HBA1c was 9.0, but recently I had another reading and it dropped to 6.9, so it does work, and you just need to stick with it.

It was suggested to me today, in my first yearly review, that I return to this website, and use the forum to show people that it does work.
After the DAFNE course I developed a computerised spreadsheet (Windows Excel and Apple Numbers versions) to help calculate the calculation based on the ratios for each meal, CP Calculations and adjustments necessary to try to return the BG to the ideal middle of the ranges. i.e. Lunch Dinner range 4.5 to 7.5, and if the BG is outside of these it calculates the injection to try to get my BG back to 6.0 (the mid point) on top of the calculation of the CP in the food.

This has helped me manage my diabetes a lot better, and what also helps is maintaining contact with some of the people that I attended the course with.

Hope you continue to do work with DAFNE, and it helps.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Could you share this spreadsheet that you have developed?

I have tried myself to develop something simple but was never really fully satisfied.