Nutrition Scales

7 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Gerryvbc DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
3 posts

I am a new graduate. Does anyone out there have an opinion on nutrition scales? Are they helpful? Salter make them, but say they are not accurate enough for carb counting for type 1's trying to work out their insulin dose.

glen4 DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
46 posts

I purchased some electronic scales after graduating! I'd recommend getting the Carbs/Cals booklet! Written by Chris Cheyette & Yello Balolia! It gives you portion/plate sizes for you to refer to!

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I've got 'Nutriscales' from Lloyd's pharmacy - it obviously shows the weight of the food, but it comes with a list of food items with code numbers. When you weigh the item, you enter the code and it shows the amount of carbs, calories and other info. I found it all a bit fiddly for my feeble brain, but I think it can be useful.

The web address is http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-nutriscales-17928

Nat-Sav DAFNE Graduate
Bromley Healthcare CIC
15 posts

I find the Nutriscales useful too. But I tend to use the carb-counting feature only if my food doesn't come with sufficient nutritional info of it's own, because that is usually more accurate.

Gerryvbc DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
3 posts

Thanks everyone, I have ordered a set of scales.

I understand that the Carbs/Cals booklet is available as an App. I've resisted getting a smart phone up to now, but that might just tip the balance if you'll excuse the pun!

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

The carbs and cals app is excellent - I have it on my iPhone 4S. It's not perfect though - unless you regularly download the images (I don't, as I have memory issues - mainly the phone!) it can be problematic when you don't have Wi-Fi or 3G available at the time you want to use it. When you do have Wi-Fi / 3G, the app has an annoying habit of updating ("this may take a few minutes") before it lets you in. Although it usually only takes a few seconds it can be frustrating if you want to eat NOW! That said, I still wouldn't be without it.

Stew

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

The carbs and cals app is excellent - I have it on my iPhone 4S. It's not perfect though - unless you regularly download the images (I don't, as I have memory issues - mainly the phone!) it can be problematic when you don't have Wi-Fi or 3G available at the time you want to use it. When you do have Wi-Fi / 3G, the app has an annoying habit of updating ("this may take a few minutes") before it lets you in. Although it usually only takes a few seconds it can be frustrating if you want to eat NOW! That said, I still wouldn't be without it.

Stew