Android app

50 posts, 21 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

No problems - also a question for the Android owners, are you free to upgrade your version of the Android OS, or does your network provider decide which one you're allowed to use?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Simon said:
No problems - also a question for the Android owners, are you free to upgrade your version of the Android OS, or does your network provider decide which one you're allowed to use?

Most of the phones out there now have the latest android OS designed for phones, most commonly 2.2, 2.3(Gingerbread) exists and many more advanced users have manually installed this version, some manufacturers have too I believe but testing is still taking place on other phones before they release 2.3 for everyone........

So to answer the question for the majority of Android users, without jail-breaking their devices, only OS versions tested and provided by the Network Operators are released when they see fit......

Lizzie DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
87 posts

My phone (Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro) tells me when there is an update available, as far as I know there is no way I can manually update to a newer system than the 2.1 I have.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Novarapid boy is spot on, its dependent on your phone company (Network operator to tekkies Smile ) . Sadly many phone companies do not release updates even when they are available. Yes they have to test them fully but even so.... I used to suffer this in the days of windows mobile 6, now I have an iphone and despite the people
that crtiicise them having the updates done by apple and NOT the phone compaines is a big advantage for me. And I get Angry Birds updates all the time, whats not to like Very Happy
( its also possible that there is an update even if the phone doesn't tell you there is, another joy of some operators, we used to have to update our users phones becasue it was too complicated for them to do ( you might suspect this is a deliberate ploy by the phone companies).

Doc_46 3 posts

Simon said:

Thanks a million Simon,

I've got an LG Optimus GT540. Like Lizzie I have Android OS 2.1 and it took ages to get that upgrade!
I did however buy the Pro version of "Quickoffice" and it works superbly with the PDF download
of the "DAFNE Carb Counting Booklet" on this site.

Regards,
Marcus.

WullieIrvine DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
27 posts

Makes me glad that I got an iPhone Smile

But yeah I do have an Android tablet and it is very much when the network decides to update it. It is also very much dependent on where you got your Android.... mines what a cheapy from HMV so it takes forever!!!!

But hey ho - love the Iphone and the apps it has Smile

Wullie (RNA)

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Simon said:
I'm going to have a look at this now - what version of the Android OS is everyone using? NiVZ - perhaps you, Mark and I could work together on it, sharing the workload? I've done some Java dev in the past, just need to get my head around the Android SDK.

Hi Simon,

Sorry, been busy as usual - moving house this Friday! Most phones out there are Android 2.x so it's probably best to aim for Android 2.1 that way it will work on all Android 2 and above phones. Biggest difficulty with Android is coding UI for different screen sizes and densities.

Here's a quick guide I wrote to get the SDK all setup and ready to compile your first program:

Setup Android Development Environment
-------------------------------------

1. Download and Install JDK 1.6
2. Download and Install Android SDK (if JDK not found, press back then next)
3. Use Android SDK to download required APIs (these are emulators of the Android OS - I just chose Android 2.1 and the Sample API Demo programs)
4. Create an Android Virtual Machine (AVD) - this is your emulator and can be configured to different screen sizes
5. Download Eclipse for Java (Helios) and unzip Eclipse to C:\Program Files\eclipse
6. Add Android ADT plugin to Eclipse by starting Eclipse and:

Click Help -> Install New Software
Click Add
Enter Name: ADT plugin
Enter URL: https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ (can try http:// if https:// fails)
Click OK
Click checkbox next to 'Developer Tools'
Click Next
Click Finish

7. Configure ADT Plugin in Eclipse

Click Window -> Preferences
Select Android from left panel
Click Browse and choose Android SDK location
Click Apply
Click OK

NiVZ

AllanR DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
15 posts

2.2 here, and that was a fight of a lot of complaints fired at the network provider to ship it. Nice thing though is Ice Cream Sandwich which is Android 3.1 for phones (there's a joke in there about CP's) is going to supposedly regain control of this mess and most phone companies and providers have signed up to a unified shipping policy for "all" phones. Now that's going to be the big question as what they mean by "all" but guess we'll see when it appears around October ish.

In the mean time till there is a DAFNE app, have been using OnTrack. Very nice lil app if not quite perfectly fitting to DAFNE. But handy none the less.

John Syer DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
19 posts

Hi All,

I graduated from DAFNE in Melbourne yesterday, and I'd also de interested in an Android app, not that I've seen much of the iPhone one.
I agree with AllanR, I've been using OnTrack and putting in the totals (for CPs, QAs & BIs) then writing the adjustment breakdown info in the notes section. I guess it is a stop-gap solution though.

- John

Damien Carr DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
1 post

Just joined the site,

Any more developments on the android topic?

Damien