Android app

50 posts, 21 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Lizzie DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
87 posts

Hi

Is there any plan for an Android app any time soon? I know there is an iphone one but I don't have an iphone.

Thanks

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

No one has volunteered to develop one yet as far as I know.

If anyone is interested in volunteering for this project, you will need to use Android SDK found here to get the ball rolling.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I would love to have a bash at it, it would take a long time getting to the standard of the iphone app..........

also access to dafne images and logos would be a problem, maybe best left to our current smart phone programmers.......

Lizzie DAFNE Graduate
87 posts

Thanks for your replies. I don't have the skills needed to do this, it is about all I can manage to operate my smart phone! Very Happy But if anyone does I would really appreciate it.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I have advertised the job over at diabetessupport.co.uk, there seems to be a few technical guys over there, I will defo have a wee look though.....

So marke and Simon, if anyone comes a knockin from there regarding this it was me that sent them to you........

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

We would like to broaden out into the Android app store - though I myself am an Apple fanboy through and through realise that not everybody is like me Smile

At the moment it's a question of time - Mark is currently working on updating the online Handbook, and mine is split between adding new features to the site and iPhone app. We will eventually get round to the Android/Blackberry/Windows Mobile apps, with Android being top priority, however our biggest problem is a lack of time. Any help with this is most appreciated - though we'd have to ensure that the features/functions of the iPhone and Android apps were consistent.

Simon

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

I've recently taken an interest in Android for something else and have been looking at the SDK and the emulator (as I don't have an android phone) for the last few days. I don't want to volunteer to take this on, but I did get as far as getting my app to create a successful login to DAFNE using the same methods that Marke and Simon kindly provided for the meter upload.

Happy to share and advise, but afraid I can't commit to doing a whole app.

NiVZ

Doc_46 3 posts

Hi All,

I only emailed Sharon at the Diabetes Resource Centre within the last day or so on this very topic.
It's just a thought, but most Android/Smart phones can open Excell spreadsheets. It wouldn't take to long
to input the info from the alphabetic listing of food groups from the DAFNE hand book into an Excell worksheet or use the
PDF version of the Carb Counting Booklet on this site until an application is developed.

Marcus.

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

I'm going to have a look at this now - what version of the Android OS is everyone using? NiVZ - perhaps you, Mark and I could work together on it, sharing the workload? I've done some Java dev in the past, just need to get my head around the Android SDK.

Lizzie DAFNE Graduate
87 posts

Great news Simon. I am on 2.1. Thankyou for offering to do this.