Advice: iPad (mini) Apps.

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Hi,

I have just been given an iPad Mini and my son in law is anxious to set me up.

I really have NO idea (I do not own a Smart Phone) but he tells me that there must be Apps that would help with the diabetes. We tried to find stuff but I was not able to recognise what I wanted. I am looking for an App that will allow me to go to a known restaurant (e.g. MacDonalds) and get carb values for what i order. Similarly for non chain restaurants but also in everyday situations. I think I will use this mainly when travelling.

Any ideas/recommendations? Not interested in recording BGs etc as I am on a pump but would love access to reliable carb values.

Helen

susanh DAFNE Management
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
20 posts

Hi Helen,

The DAFNE Online App has links to the Australian DAFNE CP List (in the Settings, just choose your CP List Country as Australia).

Beyond that, a quick search of the App Store will show you that there are definitely lots of carb counting apps out there but unfortunately for us in Australia, many of them are US or UK-based so we find that the foods and/or values can be quite different. Our dietitians often recommend the Calorie King app (only on Apple devices) as it is one of the most comprehensive carb counting apps around, and it is Australian. You could also look up the Traffic Light Guide app (also known as the Australian Carb Counter; available with Apple & Android) as this is also Aussie-based.

I'm sure the other grads will have some more suggestions for you too!

Cheers,
Susan

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Thanks Susan, I have heard of the Calorie King before but as I had no need did not pay much attention. I am finding the whole iPad thing a tad daunting but I will persevere. Grandchildren in hysterics sort of daunting! Son-in-law will have me sorted before he goes home next Saturday! #1 grandson has contracted to teach me how to use the App in a morning. Granddaughter (older/wiser?) thinks it will take much longer. Thanks for your help. Helen