windows phone app

7 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

sylver 2 posts

I have recently changed my phone and went from an android phone to a HTC titan with windows phone9 OS. I dont want to chanfe again as im very happy with my new toy. Is there any hope that the carb counting app will be av ailable in a windows format as well as the current iphone/android versions? Question

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Hi,

I'm not a windows phone dev, more Java/Android but a quick glance at the Microsoft website shows the latest versions of the os for the titan as 7 or 7.1 with no mention of 9, are you sure about this?

Phil

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

What carb counting app are you talking about? The DAFNE app? If so, this is just the carb portion database and is available for download in PDF format, which I would assume would be extremely easy to use on a Windows OS, just use Adobe PDF reader.......

Windows can run many programs with more compatibility that android or iPhone, so there is no real need for apps as such.........

sylver 2 posts

Hi Phil,
Sorry about tne typo. I should have read my message before posting. It should have said windows phone 7. novorapidboi26 thanks for that info. As i didnt have the app on my old android phone i didnt know that it was the same info as the portion DB so im going to get the .pdf.
Thanks guys for the help.
Very Happy

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

to answer a couple of points raised on this thread. Firstly no there is unlikely to be a window 7/8 version of the app we simply do not have the resources to develop one at the moment. I can develp windows apps however pretty soon windows8 will be the preferred platform and since there a radical changes in this OS then I see no point in doing anything until then. In addtion sadly ( or happily depending on your viewpoint) Windows in a niche OS on mobile platforms it has a tiny portion of the market compared to iPhone or Android, meaning very few users will actually want a windows version of the app. Secondly you can download and read the pdf on ANY mobile
platfrom including iPhone/Android. Lastly its not true that windows can run more programs with compatibility than iPhone/Android, windows mobile is NOT windows and cannot run many programs. If you were talking about a PC thats different but a mobile version is vastly different, there is a huge need for windows mobile apps which is were they are behind Android/iPhone in this area.

Phil Maskell DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
194 posts

Hi,

Not sure about this as I'm an iPhone user, you can run Android apps on windows phone 7, but it seems a bit of a faff.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/install-xap-files-on-your-windows-phone-7-device-how-to-guide/

If you're techy and fancy a challenge Very Happy

Phil

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I understand Windows Mobile is considerably different to the PC platforms, however there will be a Adobe Reader for the Mobile OS and good browser support, so it can function as close to a normal desktop/laptop/tablet than that of any Android/Apple/Symbian OS.......

Well that's my limited understanding of it anyway........... Razz