Mobile use question

4 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

CathySbd
Arrowe Park, Upton, Wirral
7 posts

Am enjoying entering my daily info onto DAFNE online via my iphone3. It's great. Tookme a while to figure out a few things. Does it work out your correction dose of short acting depending on your blood sugar, not sure about this? Eg: If I tested my blood sugar before tea and it was 14 I would have an extra 2 units on top of whatever I was injecting for my tea. Where do other people add this into their diary? Thanks. Cathy

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The app or the online site does not work out correction doses, as these can be different for everyone at different times of the day.......

For example, I would take 6 units to come down from 14 to 5.5, on the assumption that at that specific level, 1 unit drops me by 1.5 mmol/l...

On both the app and website/mobile website you enter in your corrections within the QA field, represented by +2 for 2 units correction etc........

Basically just the same way as you would write it down, which is taught in the course...........

Have you done the course? I only ask as it does not say you are a graduate next to your name................ Wink

CathySbd
Arrowe Park, Upton, Wirral
7 posts

Hi, I see now yes of course! I went on the week DAFNE course about 5 years ago at my local hospital. Funding for it was withdrawn not long after. I think I am a bit rusty and perhaps lazy is not quite the word but I could do with getting to grips with it properly to get my HBA1c lower as it's sneaking up to the high 8's. I feel on the whole, alone in looking after my health, dont get me wrong, I get my check-ups at the hosp but I often wish there was more. Glas I've found this online and especially use on the ifone as I use that a lot. Pre-dafne my hba1c's were always 12+ then went briefly to 7.3 then up to 8's where they have stayed. Cathy

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The best HbA1c I have got so far is 7.9, and this is with 110% effort on the testing/DAFNE front............................this may be down to my lack of discipline at the weekend and/or my carb intake as a whole......................so dont be too disheartened..............

The best place to start is with pen and paper, start writing everything down, if you can remember back to the course, you should remember this as being vital..........being able to do DAFNE is built on blood glucose readings and carb portions before each of your main meals, without this you just cant do it properly...............

Everyone loses motivation from time to time, but as long as we can back on it you will be fine, and it seems you are willing to do so............... Wink