Thyroxine side effects

6 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

My GP has just put me on Thyroxine tablets and I have just read the leaflet that came with them. There is a warning for diabetics that 'diabetic treatment may need to be altered'. This is pretty vague and my GP didn't mention anything about this. Can anybody give any guidance on this? I've tried Googling it but it seems that every promising lead ends up on a site trying to sell Thyroxine tablets.

maria51 DAFNE Graduate
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
22 posts

Alan, I've been taking Thyroxine pre & post Type 1. My GP, Endo & Dafne team all know I'm on it & have never mentioned altering diabetic treatment. I'll be asking them about it on my next appointment. As far as I can tell, Thyroxine has had no affect on me & diabetes.
The company that makes mine is Sigma & they have a website for consumer medicine information: www.sigmaco.com.au/prescription.cfm or your Thyroxine box may have info on it to a website in the UK.

Cheers, Maria

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
284 posts

Maria, thanks for that. There's nothing on the website of the makers of my tablets and I had problems using the website address in your posting. I'm beginning to think that the warning on the leaflet is just put there to cover the makers against any sort of comeback.

I suppose that being DAFNE-trained, our 'diabetic treatment' is altered every mealtime. I'm glad that the Thyroxine has not affected you and I also find it re-assuring. Once again, thanks.

Alan

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
284 posts

Maria, what tablets are you on? I'm on 25mcg Levothyroxine and they definitely seem to be affecting me - my BG readings seem to have gone through the roof since I've been taking them. As well as giving myself QA corrections of +2, +3 and +4, I've had to increase my BI dose. The nurse at my GP surgery has looked on the Internet and found that these tablets can require increased insulin doses.

I noticed in your posting that you were on Thyroxine before your diabetes was diagnosed, so perhaps you wouldn't have been affected by this.

maria51 DAFNE Graduate
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
22 posts

Alan Constable said:
Maria, what tablets are you on? I'm on 25mcg Levothyroxine and they definitely seem to be affecting me - my BG readings seem to have gone through the roof since I've been taking them. As well as giving myself QA corrections of +2, +3 and +4, I've had to increase my BI dose. The nurse at my GP surgery has looked on the Internet and found that these tablets can require increased insulin doses.

I noticed in your posting that you were on Thyroxine before your diabetes was diagnosed, so perhaps you wouldn't have been affected by this.

Sorry Alan, I haven't logged in for a while & just noticed your post.
I don't think being on thyriod tabs before I had diabetes would make any difference to the outcome with diabetes.
The tablets I'm on are called EUTROXSIG & I take 200mcg for four days & 300mcg for the other three with no problems. With you taking such a small dose (25mcg) then having to compensate with large QA corrections, WOW, that must be one powerful medication you're on! Shocked Hopefully you're thinking about swapping over to different brands till you find one that doesn't interfere? I hope for your sake that you will......asap.
All the very best.

Maria

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
284 posts

Maria, what I was trying to say (obviously not very clearly) was that if starting these thyroxine tablets increases your body's demand for insulin, then if you are not diabetic, your pancreas would naturally produce more insulin. If subsequently, you become diabetic, then your insulin doses would be calculated based on what you then need - when you are already on the thyroxine tablets. Does that make sense?
I seem to have finally got my insulin doses sorted out and my BGs have returned to more acceptable levels, thank goodness.