For Carol McMasters

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

RonM DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
1 post
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

What do you think, should I split the morning QA?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey, until Carol arrives I would like to throw in my tuppence worth, if you dont mind............

Welcome to the Forum.......

You are asking if you should split your morning QA, I assume as you are getting post breakfast spikes but still landing near or on target for lunch!!

From what I see you only seem to be rising 2-3 mmol/l after breakfast, so this is normal, getting the pre breakfast reading on target would take priority in my opinion. And it seems that your BI dose of 5 does in fact drop you over night. Getting some early hour readings would help, 3, 4, 5 am......

So as your dropping one may assume that this dose is too much...........testing your dose of 5 is needed, with no carbs or QA before bed.........

Once you sort the dose out and are getting on target pre breakfast, assuming there is no dawn phenomenon, then it will be much easier to tackle any post breakfast spikes you are getting.

The best way to deal with spikes in my experience is to play about with dose timing, for example, to avoid post lunch spikes I take my dose 30 minutes before eating, this then matches more closely, the insulin action with my lunch digestion.........

Always consult with your DSN though if your not 100% sure..........

I hope I contributed positively.................. Smile

mcmasca902 DAFNE HCP
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
1 post

Ron
I would consider reducing BI at night to 4 to correct low readings overnight/drops in BG from night to morning as first measure. Don,t think changing administration of morning QA needed at moment
Carol

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Ron and Carol, if you want to share Ron's diary it may be better if Ron explicitly shares it with you. there are instructions for doing this in 'My Blood glucose Diary->DAFNE Diary Help' ( its near the end of the help). Posting to the general forum will and should stimulate discussion and input from a number of people thats what the forums are for. If you are happy that this is the case then fine, but can I suggest that you don't direct the post at one person in particular, thanks Smile