Does flu vaccine affect BGLs

8 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

maria51 DAFNE Graduate
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
22 posts

Can any one please tell me if getting the jab with the flu vaccine can affect your BGLs or not?
My sister-in-law (non diabetic) gets the flu jab every year & told me she falls ill with a small case of aches & pains for a few days after the injection.

Can some one enlighten me about the affects if any,the vaccination has had on them.It's winter here now so I need to get it done asap & I'd like to be prepared just in case.

Many thanks.

chrisinbrum DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
41 posts

maria51 said:
Can any one please tell me if getting the jab with the flu vaccine can affect your BGLs or not?
My sister-in-law (non diabetic) gets the flu jab every year & told me she falls ill with a small case of aches & pains for a few days after the injection.

Can some one enlighten me about the affects if any,the vaccination has had on them.It's winter here now so I need to get it done asap & I'd like to be prepared just in case.

Many thanks.

I don't think your sister-in-law will be getting ill from the vaccine because there is no active flu virus in there, so the aches and pains will just be her immune system reacting to the vaccine which could be causing a bit of a reaction (but thta's a sign it's vaccinating her).

I suppose if your immune system reacts a lot to the vaccine it might affect BGLs, but I doubt it would be as much as if you actually had a real infection when the DAFNE sick day rules could be used.

I've been having the vaccination for years and I've never noticed any obvious effect on my BGL, even if it's given me an achey arm sometimes.

I think it's safer to have the vaccination to hopefully avoid getting flu and just check your BGL afterwards if you're concerned at all Smile

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

As already mentioned, your immune system is being put to work and so this requires a little extra energy, supplied by your livers stores, so you might be dealing with slightly elevated levels for a short time............

Broady DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
13 posts

I have a flu jab every year and it never affects my blood glucose levels

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

99% of people react to the suspension (fluid) used to deliver the vaccine into your system NOT the vaccine. The vaccine is NOT active and cannot make you ill, the suspension can and in some people does. I may be wrong but I don't think the vaccine works your immune system much, its just used as a 'id' so when you get the 'real' thing your immune system is ready for action.
Like others I have the vaccine every year and have never had a reaction on any kind. I wouldn't worry about it Smile

Willie Miller DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1 post

I suppose everyone is different. I have the flu jab every year and immediately afterwards, my levels go up significantly for approx 24-36 hours, then back to normal.

Simon Heller DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
46 posts

I guess its conceivable that if you have a 'stress response' to the vaccination (ie mild inflammatory immune response) which is unusual this could raise your stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline and this could raise your blood glucose for a day or two but I doubt it would have a major effect. Also very individual and wouldn't expect it effect most people. Simon

maria51 DAFNE Graduate
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
22 posts

Thank you to all who replied, I appreciate all of your comments very much.