Penicillin

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Aneirin 15 posts

hello. Recently got an infection and need to take peniccilin for a month, and I seem to be getting lower, and am having a lot more hypos.

Does penicillin affect blood glucose? And how? And how to adjust?

(the penniccilin is flucloxacillin)

Aneirin 15 posts

Was going fine before, in the 5-8 range up until lunch time yesterday when I started taking it. Same ratios, same meals, butI had a hypo after lunch, treated it, hypo before dinner, treated it, hypo before going to bed, treated it, and a hypo after breakfast today.

I have been treatign normally (2 fast acting, maybe some additonal CP's if meal is a while away) but I am not going above 6. (ratios are 1.5 to 1 for breakfast, 1 to 1 for lunch, and 2/3 to 1 for dinner. A weird one, but it's the only ratio that works for dinner)

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I would say its perfectly possible your antibiotics are having an effect on you..............

Some people find there BGs go up with illness and infection, some go down.............so it could be a result of the infection or a combination of the infection, its battle to get rid and also the antibiotic assistance you have been given........

Hopefully it will be a very short term effect, but best to be extra vigilant with your recording and testing.......... Smile

WullieIrvine DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
27 posts

It is entirely possible your antibiotics are lowering your blood glucose levels. I've recently had intravenous Vancomycin and it actually raised my blood glucose levels. Needless to say the sudden unexpected drop I got when I got home and it was out of my system has totally thrown me for a day but hey we live and learn Smile

Wullie (RNA)