No Carb and going high

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

derekh1965 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
90 posts

Hi

Here's the story.

Went to bed at 12:45am this morning with a BS of 9.7, had 1 CP and took 4+3 QA, and also my BI of 18 units. Woke this morning at 8:10am with BS of 7.6, had breakfast at 9am which was Carb free (cheese omelette) so took no QA but took 20 BI and by lunchtime at 1:17pm my BS was 13.7, why?
The bedtime BI surely must have still been in my system and the morning BI kicks in after 2 hrs.

What have I done wrong and what should I have done.

kind regards

Derek

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

repeat the same conditions for another couple of days to confirm its no a one off....................as there was no other insulin action apart from your BI, mostly the 20, I would assume that 20 may need increased, but make sure it wasnt a one off though.........

WullieIrvine DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
27 posts

Hey been reading your post Derekh and you say you went to bed with a blood sugar of 9.7 and had 1 CP. I therefore don't understand why you took 4+3 QA???

It should have been 1QA for the CP and personally I wouldn't have taken a correction at that point but instead adjusted the meal before QA in the future if you were still having the same readings over a couple of days.

It looks to me as though you have had a hypo during the night which has self rectified and your rise in blood sugar is the after effects of your bodies normal Glucose release in attempting to get you out of your hypo.

Wullie

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I think from previous posts the OP has stated they are on a 4:1 ratio across the board and has a high insulin resistance and so using the rule - 1 unit drops 1 mmol/l.

That would explain the 4+3, so this dose could have been right, assuming the PM BI tests have confirmed 18 as sufficient.......but only by elimination can the real cause be determined.....

As there was only the BI dose in the system I am leaning towards an adjustment of the AM BI still.....