menstrual cycle DAFNE Extra

4 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Athena DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
52 posts

Hi All,

Spoke as promised to people doing research into DAFNE with a view to designing an additioanl course for graduates. this will be called DAFNE Extra and will help people who ahve not managed to get control. They are currently investigating barriers to control. These could be psychological/ motivational for instance. They are also looking at physiological barriers which is where we come in. I explained our problems and they found this quite interesting. It was great talking to the researcher. In MAy, there will be another meeting and she will raise this issue with the people investigating the physiological barriers. I mentioned that it wasn't jsut me, there was plently of other people on the on- line discussion who were all experiencing the same problems. Unfortunatley, the underpinning research and then subsequent design of a course means that we won't see DAFNE Extra pilot courses in some of our centres for at least a couple of years! However, you may be interested to know that there is research going on with hundred of DAFNE graduates, some of which should be published soon. This looks at quality of life after DAFNE, and all sorts of issues about controland how people are getting on, not just HBA1c results. It will be really interesting to see if anything comes up.If I find anything, I will post the links here.

In the meantime, I think we should keep the discussion going in order that there is recognition of what we all feel is a gap in the DAFNE education.

take care everyone.

Take

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

So what aspect is it that is being investigated exactly, sorry, I didn't quite follow............ Embarassed

Athena DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
52 posts

Hi Novorapid boi,

Barriers to success are being investigated. These might be motivational , like patients feeling that DAFFNE is too much work so they give up, or they feel much iller on DAFNE sot hey give up, or, they might be physiological like there is some reasons to do with particular people's bodies that make it impossible for them to get control. By doing research with hundreds of graduates into all sorts of issues they hope to identify what the main problems are. Then they will design a course that will be part of a refresher and part new stuff with answers about how to overcome these problems.

Us girls are hopig that our hormones and how they affect bg control will be covered in the course as so many of us are changing our BI all the time as our insulin requirements change over a month which is a nightmare.

Hope this covers it but the course will not be delivered a s a pilot for a year or two and it will take longer for it to be rolled out nationwide.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

AHH......thanks, I understand now................that's a great idea to be honest, especially if they could figure out some kind of rules when it comes to the woman's menstrual behaviors..

I personally think lifestyle plays a large part on whether people stick at it............during the 5 days there the testing actually shows the principals working, so for those five days everything is exciting and new, and making sense...........but as we all know, things change every now and again, ratios, BI requirements..........it can be hard to get motivated when you just dont know whats happening.................online support like this and other diabetic forums should be mentioned much more I think....