Painfull Hands

6 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Possum DAFNE Graduate
Knox Community Health Service, Victoria
7 posts

I am a 58 year old Female and use Novo Rapid & Levemir... has anyone noticed that they get stiff/painfull hands?... is it the Insulin or am I thinking that I am developing Arthritis (Father suffered from it)

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I couldn't say I have heard of insulin causing such problems..........

Numbness and tingling can be an effect of diabetes after so many years, I would go see the doc if its causing you problems, but to me it sounds like arthritis purely from your symptoms of stiffness.....

Good Luck........... Smile

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I've had wrist with some hand discomfort when motorbike riding a lot (particularly clutch control practice) but this has eventually eased off as I carried on. That hand ache was very annoying - couldn't even hold a cup for too long sometimes. Sad Wore a wrist support for a while too.

My doctor suggested that it might be carpal tunnel syndrome for me but it did clear up on it's own.

I think it's best you ask a doctor rather than try to self diagnose (at least you have the opportunity to be more prepared for the news that it may be arthritis - Type 1 Diabetes and Arthritis are both auto immune (so in the same medical problem family)).

Take care and I hope it gets better!

mfrancis DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

I am on levemir and apidra, i have problems with painful left hand which even wakes me up most nights, asked the question of GP regarding diabetes induced but was told it was more than likely a trapped nerve, that was a couple of months ago and pain getting worse so will be going back next week for more info.....

Dave W DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
2 posts

I recently suffered from 'Trigger Finger' in both hands. Thankfully the problem was resolved with a couple of cortisone injections. Interestingly I read that such an affliction can effect up to 3% of the population but, in the case of Diabetics, this can rise to 10% Crying or Very sad

DFH_17 DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
22 posts

Have had the same issue Dave - had trigger finger in both hands - had to have an op on my left hand last Xmas which thankfully worked and have had cortisone injections in the right hand which also worked. Looked up 'trigger finger' on the internet as well and it said that diabetics especially women were prone to trigger finger :-(