Carb counting-

9 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Cas DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

Have just graduated re DAFNE - I think my problem is miscalculation of carbs- as I make and cook all my own food- including bread- I don't buy ready made stuff- I cannot find much of what I eat in the carb counting book! Had lunch yesterday- 4and half CP- BG 3.8 so rounded down to 4. Had 1 apple before walk- BG at 6pm was 23!!! In my lunch was a whole mozarella cheese- not in book so ignored! Big mistake? Rounded up CP after correcting dose of 3QA- BG at bed 10.7. All ok now! Does ANY book have counts for ALL fruits etc.? I can't be the only one that hates Enumbers etc. Have old phone- cannot afford new phone just to get APPS-all my foods might not be on there anyway. Any suggestions folks- will kepp on " guestimating" for now!

Broady DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
13 posts

I use the food and diet counter by Dr Wynnie Chan which has the nutritional values for most foods

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey,

For the most part carb counting doesn't have to be exact, I usually just round up the carbs when calculating......I found the dafne archive of carbs usually does the job nicely.....making bread however purely depends on you quantity of flour, etc, just note how much you use before baking, then divide accordingly............

What ratios of insulin are you on, are you happy they are correct..............also do you take into account your level of blood sugar when correcting, higher numbers often need more insulin to bring you down eg 1 unit drop 1mmol/l........

Cas DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

Thanks to all- have just purchased the Calorie counter book- it has lots of stuff not in the little book from the course- have had all good results since. Fingers crossed. Am booked in to meet DAFNE Oz in Melbourne when I go over in March- May. Will keep in touch

Anibee DAFNE HCP
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

As an ex baker and now Diabetes Dietitian - I have found that alot of the breads I used to make commercially have all changed. As mentioned, when making your own, it really depends on the carb value of your flour - but if you are making your own don't forget to add any extra bits of carb that you include - for example dried fruit or such, but depending on your additions of nuts or seeds you may find that the Glycaemic index changes too - so you may need to factor that in for a bit of a rise in BG later on.

Cas DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

Am spending time calculating everything I cook and dividing into portions. I seem to need a higher ratio pm so am trying that- doing fairly well at present. Going out to Italian meal tonight- fingers crossed! Thanks to all

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Enjoy the Italian...............

Remember that some starchier carbs like pasta and pizza, which can also have higher fat content as well can have a delayed release of glucose in to the blood stream.........so once the CPs have been calculated you could maybe think about splitting the dose, half before the meal and half during/after.........this should prevent or alleviate the spike you may get post meal..........the 50:50, split is just a good place to start, I personally give 75% first then the rest after..

Good Luck and enjoy........

Cas DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

Hi- thanks for that suggestion. I have always had huge problems with pasta- used to have a hypos 1 hour after eating- then of course major high in the morning! Very annoying- the DAFNE course did wonders for the understanding re fat/ carbs etc. I could chicken out and have fish and salad of course!!! Cheers.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Awwwwwwwwwwww..........no...................just go out and eat what you like and enjoy............if you split you wont get the low straight after as the peak of your first dose wont be strong enough, then the next peak should marry up with the later release of glucose.............

Its all about experimenting and results will vary but you get the idea.....