trends

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

tsavage1990
North Cheshire Hospital Trust
11 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

i have recently restarted recording my results, i sort of fell off the grid when i begun university last year, however i cant see how to improve things - any help identifying trends and/or advice on how to improve my abysmal control would be greatly appreciated

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey there........(not HCP)

Firstly I would comment on your background, you take it at night, once a day so assuming Lantus. Pretty much every night you are dropping to give you lows in the morning, quite low lows as well.

So instead of putting it up, like you did on the monday, I would put it down back to 16, try that out for a few days, I suspect you might need to come down further.

The QA ratios seem to be pretty much there, but they will never be really accurate unitl you get your background correct. You also seem to be eating quite alot, which is fine, once you know all your doses are right.....

Once you hold steady overnight with no carbs or QA working then you can start to tackle the morning to lunchtime slot, try to avoid the mid morning snack so you can see what the QA has actually done once its run its course, 4-5 hours, once your happy with the ratio you can go back to snacking if you wish, if it is over the magic 10g of CP then it would still be nice to see a blood glucose there even though you cant take any action with it...

Its good you noticed the alcohol effects on the next day and that you should of dropped your BI dose.

You may find that you hold steady over night, waking on target, but then struggle to get your numbers down during the day, even with higher ratios, or the opposite, struggle to keep them up.........this means that your livers glucagon release varies from night to day, and you would benefit from a split dose, 12 hours apart to accomodate for the different rates of release.....

To conclude, try and do an overnight BI(basal) test without any food or QA 5 hours before your bedtime BG, on Lantus, 3-4 days should be enough to see if its the right dose......

I hope I helped..............