sport and high bloods

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

carl render
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

hi, im 31 and had type 1 for 26ys and ive been doing kickboxing for 5yrs and been doing the dafne for 3yrs. the problem is when i train my blood sugars go sky high . i can start my exercise at 5.5 and finish 2 hours later and my blood level is in the late teens i only drink water or sugar free juice and have a protein shake 1 hour before. ive had the protein checked and i was told theres no problem in taking it and even when i dont use it the levels are the same. i take my lanctus at 9.30pm and i finish my training at 8.00pm. so is the lanctus running out and this is raising the blood levels or is it using stored fat as energy and can this affect the blood level. the reason for that questian is im losing weight quite fast because i train 4 nights a week and 4hrs of exercise through the week at college but only have this problem at night and sometimes hypo in the early mornings while sleeping. just need some info to see where im going wrong.....?? many thanks

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

What CPs are you putting on board to compensate for the exercise?

If you don't have anything at all, your body will naturally start releasing glucose to provide the energy needed - especially for strenuous exercise - and because of this, your sugar levels can rise quite a bit (I usually hit around 20 if I don't provide CPs for strenuous exercise). Due to the fact your body uses insulin more effectively after exercise as well (it's a bit like the effect in the 24 hours after a hypo), this can put you more at risk of hypo if you correct after exercise as well (which may explain the hypos during the night/in the morning).

If you're regularly exercising so much you can plan ahead and you're interested in losing weight, look at taking the CPs from your last meal instead of eating a snack pre-exercise.

All this is covered in the exercise section of the DAFNE guidebook.

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

Hi Carl,
It is highly likely your Lantus has run out by that time in the evening, resulting in adrenaline-release of glucose from your muscles and liver during the exercise.
If you refer back to your DAFNE handbook as JWo suggests, you should find some guidance in there, but your options may be:
take a small dose of QA with CPs prior to the kickboxing
consider changing to a twice daily Background Insulin to get better 24-hr coverage (best to discuss this with your local DAFNE Educators)
A very useful source of information is:
www.runsweet.com
Good luck,
Carolin