Dafne ratio works - upto 18 units or so.

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Paul Lyons
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
8 posts

My evening ratio is 2:1 and I find that I am comfortable counting carbs and injecting upto around 18 units, so 9CP's when not requiring a correction does.

Tonight and on other nights I had 10CP's and was 10.6mmol before my meal. I should have been injecting 20+1 but with a history of this problem, injected 19 (no particular calculation other than working on 9 CP's and 1 correction unit).

After 2 hours, I had the sensation of my BG dropping and it was 5mmol. I have had 40mins of 1/3rds of lucozade (so around 8CP's) to get back to 7mmol. It just stayed between 4.5mmol and 5.5mmol during this time, and often fluctuates whilst the lucozade takes effect.

1hr and 30mins after all that lucozade I am now 9.1mmol which doesnt indicate a massive rise in BG.

To me this suggests a massive overdose of insulin and something that seems to occur when I am having to take larger doses than usual, despite eating an equivalent amount.

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

I have had the inclination to thoroughly look at my ratios since a discussion with my endocrinologist and my ratio on a "good" day is close to, but, not exactly 2.27:1. I also weigh and calculate carbs to two decimal places! I have worked out that this ratio works well up to a total of 10-12 CPs a day. Beyond that the "error" is magnified to the extent that the calculation is no longer valid. The process I used was to weigh everything and to be "anal' about the carbs then to calculate the ratio considering the carbs, the insulin (including corrections) over a two week period. When I am out and not in a position to weigh etc I use 2.3:1 in the belief that I usually underestimate carbs. I also use a demipen and "correct" with half units.
If you are using 2:1 and the actual ratio is closer to 1.5:1 then over a 10CP load that can make a crucial difference (5u on 10 Carbs). Worth considering. Helen

williammcleod DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
6 posts

Bear in mind that they reckon any BG over 11 and the effects of 1 unit of insulin is unlikely to be the same as if the BG was below 11

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Its hard to give a good answer here....................

My own personal experiences are good regardless of how much carbs I am eating...............

The more insulin you take, the longer it lasts allegedly, so this should be considered....................also the food your eating should be considered also. High fat foods can delay the release of carbs and sometimes result in a low quite soon after eating...........

I would try and fine tune your evening ratio, so not necessarily 2:1 or 1.5:1, maybe some where in between as Helen suggests...................some folk, like me, can get away with ratios that are 'near enough'...........