Pleurisy

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

ytyynycefn DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
9 posts

Hi, I'm two days into "flying solo" after my DAFNE course, quite confident with managing my insulin for the first time in twelve years, but am a bit worried about how to deal with a dose of pleurisy which has started up today (I've had it several times before, so recognise the symptoms).

My sugar levels don't seem to have been affected (yet, although I will be adjusting my teatime ratio tomorrow) and there's no ketones but I feel pretty awful. I don't think I need to hit the sick day rules yet, but I was just wondering if any of you have combined pleurisy with diabetes and if you could give me any advice about how to deal with it. I have had my pneumococcal vaccine btw.

Thanks so much!

Mel

Simon Heller DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
46 posts

Hi Mel
Apologies for the delay in replying and this is probably too late. I guess the important thing was to do what you were doing and just see if your blood glucose was going up. Whether intercurrent illnesses produce enough stress hormones to impact your glucose and require the implementing of sick day rules is always difficult to predict. I guess the pain alone is a lot to deal with but it sounds as if, when you posted it hadn't affected your sugar and hopefully you are now improved.
ATB
Simon

Simon Heller DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
46 posts

Hi Mel
Apologies for the delay in replying and this is probably too late. I guess the important thing was to do what you were doing and just see if your blood glucose was going up. Whether intercurrent illnesses produce enough stress hormones to impact your glucose and require the implementing of sick day rules is always difficult to predict. I guess the pain alone is a lot to deal with but it sounds as if, when you posted it hadn't affected your sugar and hopefully you are now improved.
ATB
Simon