rise in HbA1c

3 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

maria51 DAFNE Graduate
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
22 posts

Had an HbA1c test 1 week before starting the Dafne course 2.5 months ago, result was 8.9 because of constant high BGLs 15.0 to 18.0. My Endo ordered another HbA1c test 3days ago & the result was 9.1 even though my BGLs have dropped to 5.0 during the day then an average of up to 12.0 at evening meal (working on giving more QA at lunch to counteract this prob) so I'm at a loss as to why the rise to 9.1. ?! My G.P told me the result, have yet to talk to my Endo.In the meantime, does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

well remember the HbA1c only represents the last 12 weeks or something............

Before DAFNE I was 11.8, and that was me following the DAFNE principals unofficially for a year, my next was 8.0, and then my next was 9.1, this rise happened because the previous week I had been on holiday and not really focusing on my diabetes, but I was expecting a further drop.....

As your results show a very small increase there may infact be not much change at all if allowing for margins of error.........

Keep it at it...........

maria51 DAFNE Graduate
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
22 posts

Thanks Novorapidboi,
I appreciate your input & am not so stressed to the max now.
Cheers,
Maria .