Experiencing a change in control during cold weather not what was expected !

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

John H DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
20 posts

Good afternoon folks, and hope that some advice may be given regarding the title of my post.
As a well seasoned diabetic diagnosed in 1976 with many things that have changed over many years, I have a new question regarding what may be going on with me right now.
We used to understand that our bodies would be using stored energies carb's ETC when colder weather happens. And for me I was no exception to this rule, however I have been reading reports on the media that some have experienced the opposite effects. This makes for a concern regarding how this change has happened or is it an age thing combined with the illness, as I am experiencing the same effects.
I am using the Libre 2 system which has up till now been ok, but the current sensor is about 4mmol higher in measurement to actual bg, also my phone downloaded a full upgrade of Android 13, this has benefitted me in ways that are not pleasing, the phone loses contact with the sensor all the time apart from the scan process, giving excessive pointless notifications even with my phone right in front of me, thus the alarms are now muted in the hope that the next sensor will function without app updates halfway thorugh its useage time - still have 6 days remaining.
So to sum this up, is it a new thing with elevated glucose measurement when it turns cold (Male 54y/o).
Any advice would be great.
Many thanks in advance - John H.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Are you asking if the temperature of the sensor affects its performance or if cold weather affects our natural insulin needs....

I would probably say both.....

I personally have had to do a full review becasue of the cold weather........minor adjustments to basal downwards but I have had to increase the insulin I need for carbs..... male 39