High bgl in the morning.

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Paulak DAFNE Graduate
Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
2 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi
I've been having high bgl readings every morning and am almost sure its not the Dawn Phanonomom, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what else it could possibly be because every other bgl is perfectly in target including bedtime. I've tried increasing Levemir at night but end up with low sugars. I'm stuck.
Paula.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey,

May I just say how good your control is, how do you do it......what do you eat, nothing....lol.....

Theres nothing there that rules out dawn phenomonon, the actual process starts to begin at different times with different people I would imagine, and may even be influenced by the bodies internal clock.

I would almost definetly say it starts after 3am, I also suffer badly from this, between 16-19 every morning. I too changed my background and done 3am and the results were fine, but at 6.30 they were sky high............I am at a loss too with mine.......I have tried not eating, eating cheese to slow down glucose release, taking extra QA, even risking hypo but nothing worked...

I think you should try similar strategies to knock down the result a bit. With the rest of the day though, I believe your HbA1c will be pretty good anyway, regardless of the high morning..........what was your last HbA1c??

Paulak DAFNE Graduate
Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
2 posts

Hey,
Thanks a million for your advice, believe me my control was unbelievebly bad before i did the Dafne course, it really has worked wonders for me. I've only completed the course a week ago n have been constantly watching my sugars and at the moment 'i'm happy with them, except of course my morning sugars.

I think for the next couple of days I will wake at different hours to check roughly what time it is happening to me and try and work something out from there, and if none of that works I'll adjust my insulins and see how that goes. Its very didheartening to have good control all day and then wake up sky high...

Well I had my HBA1c done 3 weeks ago and it was 10.3. I have diabetes 10 years now and 9.8 was the lowest I've ever had it. I am looking forward to my next HBA1c to see if Dafne has made a difference.

Paula.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I have never been below 8 but i believe I can get lower even with my high waking blood sugars................good luck and post your rsults!!

Peter DUAG Committee Member
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
109 posts

Paula,
I would suggest that your evening dose of Levemir is beginning to run out before your morning dose becomes effective, especially when the eveing does is taken between 20:00 and 21:00 (as in most days above) but the morning dose varies between 08:00 and 12:00. That combined with the dawn effect is causing yo to have insufficient insulin available in the early morning. You say that you've increased the evening Levemir, but that resulkts in low sugars, but don't explain when. The one example shown has a low(ish) reading at 12:30 which could be more to do with the correction at 09:30 than too much Levemir.
I know that I found it much easier to achivee more consistent control if I kept the timing of my morning dose of Levemir consistent on weekdays and weekends. It is a bit of a pain having to set the alarm to get up early on Saturday and Sunday just to have an injection, but the resuklts have made it worthwhile, and going back to sleep afterwards is not too difficult.
If it were me, I'd stick with the increased Levelmir does in the evening, and find a consistent time to inject in the morning to see if that helps. NB. That would be nearer 08:00 than 12:00 as, for me, it's effects do reduce after 12 hours.
Good luck.