Insulin resistace and Alergy?

5 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Ffi010 DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
8 posts

Hi,

Since doing Dafne my blood sugars have come down but I am concerned that I may be building a resistance. I was on Solostar and wasthen put onto Levemir and have found that it stings alot when i inject. Also I have small (little smaller than a ping pong ball) lumps where I inject, i have changed to longer needles (and changing sites) and this hasnt helped.

could I be alergic? could my body be storing the insulin in that one area? and could these lumps prevent my novorapid from absorbing properly?

THank you

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I had similar, all be it smaller symptoms when on Levemir, and someone in my dafne classroom would not go on it either as she was allergic to it......

Its quite common I think, for Levemir anyway, there must be something in it.....

If its a pain, you will just need to change insulin...

I think the lumps might be a reaction to the insulin as opposed to actual static insulin, and I dont think your QA will be affected as you wont be injecting on those sites wth a bad reaction.??

Labsteward 6 posts

I believe it has albumin in it and some people are alergic to that

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Albumin is actually protein and is most commonly found in the blood to bind multiple things like hormones, acids etc. Of course protein is found
in lots of other things like egg white which is often used in vaccines. I don't think you can say you are allegic to 'albumin', however I agree people can and are allergic to some of the ingredients used in insulin solutions. As always my reaction is to suggest you speak to you Diabetes
support Team/DAFNE team, they should be able to help confirming that it IS an allegric reaction but more importantly what the alternatives are. No one on here can tell you to change insulins this is something that needs to be done in co-ordination with your Diabetes Team.
I know a lot of people are uneasy contacting their Diabetes team, feeling they are being a nuisance, but it really is the only way to sort out issues like this and it is after all what they are there for.

Labsteward 6 posts

Bring back the Bovine! :-}