Humilin I and morning sugars

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I experience dawn phenomonon........and I am constanlty trying to find a way to beat it......

Started of of Lantus, then split it with Levemir, then finally moved to humlilin I to take advantage of its peak two hours after injecing so as to drop me enough over night that I would wake up as close to target as possible.

9 times out of 10 I am in double figures still.

My question is this. At 6.30 in the morning I take my morning BI dose, and then 12 hours later at dinner I take my evening dose, would it be better to take my evening dose as close to bedtime as possible so as to reduce the time my sugars have to climb, this would also mean bringing my morning dose forward.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, the best person to reply to this is Simon Heller, but I know hes a busy chap. Hopefully he will be able to respond to you at some stage as I know he knows a lot about this.
As I understand it, Dawn starts at about 4-5am when your body starts preparing itself for waking up. It should be around this time that your BG starts to rise as loads of hormones start bouncing around your body. Therefore, changing your BI injections will NOT give the sugars less time to rise. In an ideal world you would magically inject QA at about 4-5am when the hormonal activity starts, however since you are asleep this is not easy. In addition I would guess that if you regularly woke up at 4-5am the hormonal process would just start earlier.
This I appreciate doesn't provide an answer, but then I only understand the basics ( just about) rather than the details of the process and how it affects BG. Hopefully someone with a more detailed understanding can provide advice on the best course of action.

Simon Heller DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
46 posts

Hi. Actually your suggestion that you give your BI at bedtime is the right idea since as you say you want to have some background insulin still around when you wake up. You probably won't need to move the time of your morning BI. One of the problems with Humulin I is that the peak (around 4 hours on average but it varies hugely both between people and even when the same person gives it) may be too early and so increasing the dose, even at bedtime may still give you hypos in the night. If this does happen then you might be better off switching back to Levemir (given at the same time, although you often need slightly higher doses). If you still have problems then a pump may be the best solution as the background infusion rate is totally variable through the night and you can increase at 4am to prevent your glucose rising first thing. Simon

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Thanks for the insight....I will try takking at bedtime (26) and then in the morning (17).

As you can see I am on quite alot of insulin, well to me anyway. This probably being down to being overweight as well as being a big guy in general.

So I dont really want to increase my intake of insulin, but if it needs to be done, it need to be done..

Will keep you posted........