Graves Disease & Type One-Insulin Dependant

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Possum DAFNE Graduate
Knox Community Health Service, Victoria
7 posts

Can anyone say if there is a conection between taking Qick acting at dinner (approx 8pm) and 24 hour bolus (approx 9pm to 9.30pm) and having disturbed sleep through the night?...I wake almost every couple of hours - no hypos
My BGLs are in on target though out the day (HBA1c is 7)but, I feel tired most of the time & wondered if I change my bolus time or split it will it make any diference?

Simon Heller DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
46 posts

Hi there. Not sure I understand the question completely but here goes. I assume that when you say 24 hour bolus' you mean 24 hour basal so you are taking your QA insulin with your meal at 8 pm and then your basal insulin (? glargine) at 9 to 9.30. You are right to think that hypos could be the issue but clearly your BG monitoring seems to exclude that. If your glucose values are OK then I don't think it is the timing of the injections. You have mentioned Grave Disease in the title of your post. Are you happy that your thyroid gland is under control? An overactive thyroid gland can definitely affect sleep. Sorry if this isn't very helpful! Simon