elevated Total Bilirubin levels

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Mike Dagley DAFNE Graduate
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (Wythenshawe)
12 posts

Hi there,
Just feeling round for some guidance. Not been to GP to discuss this but intend to. I had my HbA1c test in mid May and only just got the results back last week (after pushing my local clinic to release them to me. Not as easy as it should be). However my question is about something which showed up in my results. Not seen it before, (every test seems to bring with it some new facet of medical knowledge that I am unsure what to do with!).

So amongst my reasonably positive results for bloods I came across Bilirubin. New to me. I see the range of expected levels are 1 - 20 umol/L. My result was shown in bold as it is without that range at 26. Is this significant, does anyone know? Just on the numbers and how they read it seems alarmingly high. Maybe I am sick with something new? Maybe it is just a number which interests medics. No one has told me to rush to hospital for tests so I presume that having been screened that if it was significant that 'they' would have alerted me.

Just so you know I am a diabetic since March 2009 so still an 'infant' patient.
Cheers Mike

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hey,

I am not an HCP but thought some info from the all knowing wikipedia might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilirubin

It seem to be a cellular antioxidant and is responsible for the yellow colour of bruises and urine.

Have a read, if there were problems surely someone would say?

Good Luck