Insulin Pump Query

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

AMcD DAFNE Graduate
University College Hospital, Galway
38 posts

Does anyone else experience higher than normal BG levels prior to an insulin set change? I find the insulin seems a lot less effective after about day 3 of a vial in the pump but after changing the insulin vial and set BGs are back to normal. I would appreciate any comments whether pump users experience this or not.

Thanks in advance.. Andy

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Andy, I sometimes get erratic readings after the set change. Endocrinologist says the new set is settling in. I have been a diabetic for 40 years and have had a lot of injections (predominantly into my abdomen)...theory is I have damaged the underlying layer so it takes a while to establish a pathway. I occasionally experience some irritation around the point of insertion if I let the set go for more than about 3.5 days and I think this impacts on BGs (i.e. raising them a little...not quite an infection but certainly slightly inflamed).

Helen

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The three day mark is when the body starts to heal up round the cannula, so you should be changing every 3 days at a minimum.....

if you think you would benefit from a change sooner then definitely give it a go...

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
The three day mark is when the body starts to heal up round the cannula, so you should be changing every 3 days at a minimum.....

if you think you would benefit from a change sooner then definitely give it a go...

The issue, as I see it, is that if I get elevated levels post changing the set for the next 8+ hours then every third day I am getting elevated levels (which I currently reduce with injections...recorded on the pump). This means that I have about a 1.5 day window out of three days during which I can get reliable data to drive changes in basal rates. Thus by delaying the changing of the set I am postponing the period of elevated levels post set....and of course if I have had a period of elevated levels dealt with by injections ... I have more insulin in the reservoir and can postpone it longer...devil and the deep blue sea!
Helen