Lantus to Levemir

7 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

DiabDave DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust – North East Sector Hospitals
4 posts

Hi first time post here. Recently did DANCE and because I train was changed from Lantus to Levemir. However since this have noticed my BGs seem to run higher. Have upped dosages to 25 (AM and PM) but still correcting a lot. My Lantus doses were 18 and 23? Any advise, assistance or anyone else had the same? Thanks.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

It's actually quite common to need a higher dose of Levemir than Lantus. In Gary Scheiner's book "Think Like a Pancreas", he states that Levemir can require a dose of up to 25% higher than other basal insulin doses.

I am on Lantus, but with the amount that I exercise I far prefer Levemir which is more flexible. Unfortunately it gives me welts when I inject it, so stuck on Lantus for now.

Keep following the DAFNE principles and you will find the best dosage for Levemir that works for you. And if that is higher than previously, then don't worry - it's very common.

DiabDave DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

Hi Warwick. Thanks for your reply. Will look up the book you mentioned as it's been getting to me. Did you mean Levemir caused you lumps as I've noticed the odd one since changing. Were yours regular?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Every time I injected Levemir I would get a small welt that would last about a week before disappearing. Hugely annoying as I liked everything else about Levemir. It started after about 15 months on Levemir and I got nervous that my body's reaction to it might become more severe so switched back to Lantus.

DiabDave DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

I will have to see how it works for me. Thanks for all your help.

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

Hi DiabDave

I was also on Lantus and changed to Levemir because of the amount of exercise that I do. On Lantus I was taking 14 units and on Levemir I still take 14 units. I find it a very flexible insulin and my BG's didn't change or my Novorapid ratios. The only thing that changed was the amount of Levemir that I took on exercise days and non-exercise days. On a non exercise day I take 14 units 5 pm daily and depending on my exercise classes I take 12 or 13 units. I'm very lucky as I seem to find my daily units of Levemir last 24 hours but I have read comments about it not lasting. Good luck!

regards

Sarah

DiabDave DAFNE Graduate
4 posts

Thanks Sarah