Travel to Sri Lanka

6 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

lucy1gus2 DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
12 posts

Am on a night flight with no doubt a late evening meal and arriving at destination at lunchtime.Time difference is about 5 hours and flight time is 10 hours.
What adjustments do I need to make? Normally Lantus am & pm and quick acting for mealtimes.
I am leaning towards no Lantus at night but what about morning ? Do I run high until I reach destination and back to normal ?
Any assistance appreciated
Thanks

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

i have no experience with such long journeys but I would be looking to try and keep your timings the same, at least until you get to your destination..........at least with the basal....

if you wont be getting your meals at the normal times then that's OK, that's the beauty of novoarapid/humalog....

you just need to make sure you are still getting the full coverage of Lantus.....

once you get there you can decide how to adjust the Lantus timing so it fits in with the new time zone......this will likely mean you either going without the Lantus for a short period or giving yourself a dose earlier and therefore doubling up on the dose............so you would need to either compensate with a little extra novorapid if you are taking your Lantus later or take less mealtime insulin if your taking your Lantus early....

i hope that makes sense, im getting confused myself reading back....ha ha....

lucy1gus2 DAFNE Graduate
12 posts

Thanks for that.
There is certain to be a bit of a hiccup with readings at the start but I will be testing more than normal

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

Have done flights to Malaysia which usually leave around 10pm and take 12 hours, so I keep Basal insulin the same as usual for night or morning times, then try to keep to UK time for the next 12 hrs or so, and then gradually change the times of meals and dosing to fit local time. Bolus obviously is easier as you can move mealtimes around a bit for first day or so to get into the local routine.Your blood glucose will rise by a bit as you will be sitting for quite a while on the aircraft, so don't panic over that, you can sort it out once you get there. It's best to try and reduce high blood sugars by small doses of extra insulin each time you bolus rather than large doses as you will bounce all over the place. It doesn't take long to get into a new routine, and things usually settle down. The hardest part is trying to estimate carbohydrate in unusual foods. As I say, your sugars will be all over the place for a while but don't panic. I don't think anyone has been seriously ill for being high for a day or two.

lucy1gus2 DAFNE Graduate
12 posts

Once again - thanks. Have previously done flights to South Africa but with only a 2 hour time difference it was easy to sort insulin out.
A tendency to panic a bit on lengthy plane journeys so thanks for the reassurance

sjohno DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
37 posts

Hi lucy1gus2

Please find below a web site that I have bookmarked to use later on this year:

http://www.diabetestravel.org/

It may help you with future long distance travels.