Washing before testing

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I always wash my hands before testing, but there are occasions when this is not possible. For example - being on a plane and not being able to get to the loo before the meal is served, or being on a beach somewhere, where there are no washing facilities. In the past, I've always carried Sterets alcohol wipes to cleanse before finger-pricking, but someone told me that the alcohol can effect the test results. Any ideas?

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I will confirm that using those sorts of wipes can make your blood test results ungenuine, however I have heard that if you let your hands dry fully after using them, they may be less of a problem - this is only what I've heard though. It's not recommended to use them generally so this may not be true.

As for any alternative options, you might have to do what I usually end up doing and going out of your way to find somewhere to wash your hands (some cafes or arcades are very helpful), leaving it until when I can test or just going without in some cases.

I look forward to seeing if anyone has a good suggestion that we can both apply. Smile

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I got into that habit too when I was on the course, but not so much now, unless I know I ahve been touching somethin like ink or a bit of fruit I wont bother.

It only affects the reading about + or - 1 mmol/l.

Test it out yourself, before and after washing, then decide wether to make it an issue........

Tony.P DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
16 posts

Obviously if you can great, but it is not always possible and I don't think it makes a huge difference I have not noticed anyway.