2 Hour rise after a meal and HbA1c results

6 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Popey81 DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
5 posts

I understand that during meals you BG readings can nearly double so they say to avoid checking inbetween. So if every 4 to 5 hours my bloods seem to have good control but in between their going up before coming down, what affect would this have on my HbA1c results??

AMcD DAFNE Graduate
University College Hospital, Galway
38 posts

BG Results will raise after meals but perhaps not as much as you think. The various insulins have different effects. I had a 24 hour monitor attached for 7 days and I was pleasently suprised that my BG almost flat lined throughout the day and night except after high carb pizza but even with that the results were very good... I use novorapid in a pump... the HBA1C is a measure of your average control. It is used as a guide for overall control si it's an average.Don't be too concerned if your control is good as you state 4 to 5 hours after meals. .. Andy

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I suppose it will be different for everyone but I found that mid meal numbers where keeping my HbA1c up a wee bit..............

I have now went on a pump and its much better..........

make sure to experiment with dose timing.........at starting point of 15 minutes before eating should be considered for Novorapid at least....

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I was given the opportunity to wear a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) for a weekend. Up until then, I thought that my BGs were fine after eating muesli as they were generally similar values before and 4 hours after eating it. However, the CGM showed that they were spiking at 17 within an hour of eating the muesli. I haven't touched it since and I now try and avoid foods that have many carbs in them. My HbA1C has dropped from 6.5 to 5.8 as a result. As novorapidboi26 says, injecting or bolusing 15-20 minutes before eating a high carb meal can reduce the spikes.

AMcD DAFNE Graduate
University College Hospital, Galway
38 posts

Novo Nordisk who manufacturer novorapid fast acting insulin have completed stage 3a clinical trials on a modified version of their fast acting insulin that achieves a faster rate of absorption and than novorapid. .. They applied to the FDA for a NDA (new drug application) in December 15.... They have called it onset 1 for type 1 use... if successful in getting to market this insulin will peak quicker than current fast acting insulin and hopefully make some further improvement on reducing post meal spikes. .. Andy

Popey81 DAFNE Graduate
Royal Glamorgan Hospital Diabetes Centre
5 posts

Thanks all for the replies. Keep doing what im doing until my next HbA1c test Smile