INSULIN SENSITIVITY

4 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

alanG DAFNE Graduate
The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust
11 posts

I am taking very little insulin. I have 2 units of BG in the am, and 10 units of BG in the evening. I am only taking QA insulin if I have a meal of greater than 5 carb units, and then at a ratio of 0.5 to 1.
I only use the insulin I do use since the health professionals put the fear of god into me. My short-term blood glucose is always in single figures, and never more than 8.0. My long -term level is 42, and has been at that level since I was first tested after diagnosis some 4 years ago.
I now have a detailed example, which is not untypical of my experience.
My morning level was 6.3, and I had a cracker and low fat cottage cheese for breakfast (about 0.5 carbs). I took 2 units of BI. We then walked to the shops, about 2.5 miles, and I could not resist a SUBWAY and coffee (about 4 carb units). I did not take any QA, as experience says I will be ok. We then walked home in 45 mins. (steady). In the afternoon, I had 20 mins. on the exercise bike, and I tested my blood sugar at 4.8. I had a snack oif tortillas to keep me going (1 carb unit)
For our evening meal we had roast duck with roast potatoes and mixed veg., and as a treat we tried my wife's home made Christmas cake, which is soaked in booze, with a lump of Wensleydale cheese. Again. I did not take any QA insulin.
About 8.30pm I had another 20 mins. on the exercise bike, and when I tested after my blood sugar was 5.4.
I find it difficult to believe that 2 units of BG and modest exercise can be responsible for dissipating over 7 units of carb.
Anyone got any thoughts.

Susanf DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
29 posts

Hi AlanG, Great results Very Happy Are you type 2? My guess is your body is still producing some insulin and that is acting as your background insulin. You are also doing exercise pretty much after each meal which is probably burning up what you are eating. As you are getting such great results I would keep going the way you are :-)

alanG DAFNE Graduate
The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust
11 posts

Hi Susanf, Thanks for your reply and encouragement. I am actually TYPE1, and it clearly is late in life to get that!!!
When I raise this scenario with the professionals, they accuse me of being in denial. Cool.

Susanf DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
29 posts

Your HbA1c results show that your overall control is perfect so if you only need a small amount to keep it at that then happy days Very Happy Not sure why they feel you are in denial - if thats all the insulin it takes there is not a huge amount you can do to change it. Have you heard of LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes in adults)