Pregnancy advice

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Nicolejoy 2 posts

Hi there,

I'm after any advice from Type 1's who have been or are currently pregnant. Are there any things you think I should keep in mind or be aware of? I am working really hard to keep my sugars within target and to get my next HBA1C lower. I'm starting now, so if all goes well, my partner and I will be able to start trying early 2016. My HBA1C is currently 58 and I have heard that an HBA!C of 49-52 is ideal. I've had diabetes for 21 years and am on Novorapid and Levemir injections. Although I have put off going on a pump for sometime I would consider it for the benefit of myself through pregnancy and of course a baby.

Also are there relevant books out there published in the UK? I've found a few online but they are either American or aimed at medical professionals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

AMcD DAFNE Graduate
University College Hospital, Galway
38 posts

I changed to a pump in May 2015 after 25 years of pens etc... For what it's worth my HbA1c pre pump start was 53. A recent blood test result showed a reduction in HbA1c to 48 so it certainly has improved the results for me. Good luck with the plans. Andy