travel/time zones

4 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

kateb DAFNE Graduate
Bromley Healthcare CIC
4 posts

Hello!

I was just looking for a bit of advice - I may have to fly off to Mexico for a week on Sunday for work very last minute, and being type 1 and having never done a long haul flight or crossed time zones, I'm a bit anxious. Mexico is about 6-7hours behind us, with a 10 hour flight. I normally take 12 units of lantus around 10/11pm at night. I'm thinking it may be best to inject in around 6pm mexico time (12am our time) but this is a guess....

I would speak to my diabetes team but I've been set up with a new team in a new area having moved, and don't have my first appointment with them until next month.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Hi,

I really think that you are the best person to make these judgements. My only advice is to be conservative and do lots of checks. The food will be different, your sleeping pattern will be different, your activity level ...everything will be different and you will have to make calls as necessary. If you are a long-term diabetic you are in the best position to make these decisions as you know how your body reacts. Take a fair supply of sensible snack food with you. I took 28 Muesli bars to China (4 week holiday) as I did not know how reliable the food would be (time, type etc). At least if I substituted a muesli bar for a meal I knew the exact (well almost) carb value. For memory I bought home about 6. Some of my travelling companions were very jealous of my stash!

Take care and enjoy the trip.
Helen

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Oops sorry..just a diabetic (about 30 years) not a HCP! Helen

kateb DAFNE Graduate
Bromley Healthcare CIC
4 posts

Thank you so much for this, really appreciate it - great to hear how other people deal with things!