Prat.

6 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

vic demain DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
87 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Meant to take 2 units of QA at breakfast this morning but for some stupid reason ended up taking 12. Tested every hour (4 hypo's) took no insulin with lunch and only early evening did the results start to go up. Still not taken proper amount. Has anyone else been stupid enough to do a similar thing and can pass on experiences or is there an HCP who can offer advice. It's probably covered in the book but not quite with it at the moment to go through it.
Thanks.
Vic.

87 posts

Sorry 19:15 should read 4 units QA not 4 CP's.

87 posts

Forget last post, managed to change it.

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

If you think you did that I would have thought the best measure would be to have the carbs to match. What ratio you on to take 2 for 5 CP's ? .

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Firstly, I'm not a HCP but I would like to comment.

I've been daft enough to inject BI instead of QA for a meal before. Did lead to unusual results but at least with this sort of thing you have some idea on the possible outcomes thanks to DAFNE. I have to side with Karl's comment considering - as annoying as it is, the most common preventive measure for this sort of situation is to eat to counteract it... however, I am quite surprised by the knock-on effect you've had during the course of today.... how is your BI situation? Do you work by 1 CP to 1 QA meal ratios? Sad

Also, be careful with any adjustments after a hypo (referring to the 4 QA dose at 19.15)... the QA will take you down a lot more than it would for a normal dose. Considering what you've done so far - I would prepare for another hypo if it was me. Sad

Take care and let us know how it gets on. I hope a HCP replies soon to ease your mind.

p.s. You're not a prat - we all make mistakes! ;)

87 posts

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
Karl, I cannot use the ratios at breakfast. I always have 5CP's but if I take more that 3 units QA I will be hypo within 2 hours. Therefore I usually use 0.6:1, not in the book I know but that's what works for me. Guess I should have eaten more but that is a heck of a lot of carbs.
JWo, my BI is something which we have worked hard at, I am lucky in so much as I appear to be sensitive to insulin, so don't need too much. The knock-on effect could have something to do with the fact that I regularly have hypo's and so my reserves may be low. For other meals I normally take 1:1 or slightly above but cannot use this at breakfast.
Pleased to say breakfast result today was 7.0 and I've taken 2 units, so hopefully sorted but fully expect some further repercussions yet.

Many thanks.

Vic.