Cold Medicines

5 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Lizzie DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
87 posts

I have a bad cold. So far so good (cross fingers), no ketones and blood sugars under control. But I was going to have something to ease the symptoms as I don't really want to take time off work. I know there is no medicine that cures a cold and you just need to wait for it to run its course. But it would be easier to work without blocked ears, stuffy head and bunged up nose.

But all the decongestant type medicines I checked say either not to take if diabetic or to ask your doctor. I get why cough medicine would say that, and have got some sugar free stuff. But why do things like Lemsip or Beechams say it? Surely there is no sugar in those? What effect could they have on my diabetes? Does anyone know? Is it a risk I can take? I know some products like hot water bottles say the same, but the reason for that is obvious (neuropathy), I have good feeling in my feet and know not to make them too hot, so I can use them. So I want to know is it something like that, where the manufacturers are just saying it to cover themselves? Or is there a real reason for it?

Simon Heller DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
46 posts

Hi Lizzie, the only thing I can think of is that there is some sucrose in these preparations and you just need to be aware of the potential effect they might have on your blood glucose. I think your comments about using a hot water bottle are really sensible. By and large manufacturers will want to cover themselves and their advice needs to be interpreted in this light. Simon

ann-marie
South East Kent PCT
3 posts

Hi Lizzie, hope your cold is better now. Mostly cold meds do contain eg glucose/sucrose etc. so warning! The warning with some decongestants that contain pseudo ephidrine ( ? spelling!) SINUTAB etc, is I think ,because the side effect of this MAY mimic or mask hypo symptoms ( restlessness, anxiety, shaking, increased heart rate/palpitations) and it can reduce the effectiveness of medicines for high blood pressure. don't know if this helps....

ThunderBolt DAFNE Graduate
Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust - Salford Royal Hospital
28 posts

I can go along with your uneasiness here. It seemsmeverything has a warning for diabetics not to use. Cold remedies, leg waxing, all sorts. It's not much help is it?!?
As for the cold I swear by a hot toddy and an early night. Every cloud, eh? Heheh!

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

I asked a diabetic consultant quite some time ago, and was advised that the warning was more aimed at people with Type 2 as there would be some glucose included. Was advised not to worry about the warning too much.

That was some time ago, so the way the Doctors change the goal posts, that could all be wrong now.