Help with BG

2 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Julieann Brown DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
2 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi Sue, this is Julieann, can you take a look at my diary and let me know if I need to up my ratio more..?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Hi Julieann,

I am not Susan but would like to make some comments if that's OK.........?

I assume the ratio you are asking about is your lunchtime meal?

From the results it does look like your ratio of 1.5:1 is needing to be increased slightly............

however there are other things to consider as well.......

is you background dose of 12 doing its job.....?....you don't have breakfast so this is a good time to test that 12, for 2 of the days, Wednesday and Thursday your blood sugar increases from when you wake to when you first eat, this would suggest you need to increase the 12....would be good to do a test between lunch and dinner with something carb free for lunch too.......

there may also be a need to adjust your correction factor............so you may be assuming 1 unit drops you by 2-3 mmol, this may need to be changed too......this right factor can be established again by having carb free or missing a meal and just using a correction dose until 4 hours later.......if your at the desired target then the 2-3 mmol per unit is good, if not you may need more or less....

a lot of info there, so apologies, but once you have those things pinned down and correct, making insulin/carb ratio decisions can come much easier........

good luck...........:-)