High Morning Blood Sugar

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Wendycurtis DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
3 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi there,

I completed the DAFNE course just under 2 weeks ago, I have been following the adjustments accordingly but on the last three mornings my readings are extremely high like 20 and 23, And I then spend the rest of the day trying to bring them back to normal. I am not sure if it's because I don't feel too good,but my BI has been checked and is fine, so I was not adjusting that, it just seems to go up in the night after doing my Background Insulin! Do you have any suggestions what I can do to alleviate this?

Allan P DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
3 posts

Have you tried the dreaded 3 am test to see if you get the morning rise? If you are ill and if it was me I'd up my BI by 1u just while I'm ill and I'd also follow the sickness stepwise thing. You could try 1u of QA if high before bed and no CP. Keep locazade handy though just in case. There is also the DAFNE team from SWE center.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Given that your readings look OK previous to this, I suggest that you follow the sick day rules in your DAFNE manual. It looks much more like sickness than Dawn Phenomenon, although if it stays like this for a while, then as Allan says, you may want to try a 3 am test to check. If your 3 am test is within range, but your morning BGs are high, then that would indicate dawn phenomenon.