Multiple Hypos - struggling to regain control

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Emmeline DAFNE Graduate
Royal Berkshire, Reading
1 post

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me, I am on holiday and have had multiple hypos in quick succession, including ones at night, now my sugar levels are constantly high no matter what I do.

When you have had multiple hypos does it make it harder to get control back and is there anything I should be doing to get myself back to normal?

I have figured out what has caused the hypos, I am exercising at high altitude and after a little research have found out that altitude can increase your risk of hypos and obviously exercise does the same, so now all I need to do is get control back ASAP.

Any help would be much appreciated

Emmeline

glen4 DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
46 posts

As we were told on our Dafne course- ' hypos breed more hypos over the following 24 hours! Maybe reduce your ratios before + after exercise! How much BI are you taking? If you are exercising in the morning- reduce your Bi if you are on a split dose! Whilst exercising carry some carb gels, jelly babies are fast acting if you feel low!

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hi Emmeline,

Given that you seem to be having two separate issues - hypos and highs, it is a little hard to make a helpful suggestion. Are you still on holiday? If it is a long term holiday, then keeping your DAFNE diary up-to-date should help you to spot trends, and you can then work out when more frequent testing might be in order to identify when you are trending downwards or upwards before it becomes an issue.