The 2 hour check

10 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

brendashore
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

I attended a Dafne meeting last November and heard mention that the 2 hour after meal blood check is no longer used. Was going to ask more but as usual at these meetings got sidetracked by different subjects all being discussed at the same time.
Thought the Dafne rule was to sometimes do a blood check 2 hours after eating and make sure BG is not over 10mm.
Did I hear right.
Thanks. Bren.

Peg Leg Chewit DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
5 posts

I have just completed the dafne course on friday and this two hour check was never mentioned...

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

Probably because it's nearly always impossibler to meet the criteria that you blood sugar should never rise by more than a couple of points. My bloods frequently can rise to over 10 after a meal but will nerly always come down later in the day.

Louise1988 DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
69 posts

They say 2hour post meal checks aren't that important, as you will still have around 2hours' worth of insulin working round you.

Saying that, people who don't have diabetes, generally don't go above 8 after eating, so it is still a good indication...

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

the 1.5 - 2 hour point is the peak of your quick acting insulin, and so theoretically this will be your spike, and you wont go higher than that.........

if you can get that to an acceptable level for you [mine is single figures]..........it gives a good indication of how well matched the timing of your insulin was to the digestion....

if its higher than you would like, you could try injecting longer before you eat a similar meal the next time.....

so I personally think its worth it to test at these times, however DAFNE likely wont and shouldn't mention it as it complicates the approach they are trying to teach, testing mid meal is a tactic that comes later when you have become more confident and competent with your own control....

Bananaman DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
34 posts

There's no point in doing a 2 hour blood glucose check because you need to leave at least 4 hours between QA injections so whats the point with the exception of background insulin injections

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I thought my explanation, which came right before your response, explained good reasons for it...

Its useless for dose adjustment but it can help with dose timing when trying to reduce the mid meal spike to as low as possible...

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
34 posts

DAFNE suggests checking BG level before breakfast or when getting up, before meals and before bed. The QA peaks between 2.5 and 5 hours and lasts to eight hours. However, I personally like to check my levels three hours after each meals, before and after exercising as it gives me an idea where my level is.

Muna

Bmumma49 DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
3 posts

I was told that they only advise pregnant type 1 to do 2 hour checks..if your going to exercise then take some fast acting carbs with you and extra cp depending on what you're doing

CurlyWurly DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
15 posts

I do it just so I can see what my 'journey' is like that day but I'm also very aware that my Novorapid likes to work it's hardest in the 5th hour so I don't correct on it. My post meal spikes can very often be 10-14 which is a concern but it usually returns to normal again before the next meal. It doesn't seem healthy so I'm now trying, where possible, to inject just a little bit earlier before my meal.